50. One of my favourite things

Jemima

I woke up in a hospital room, smiling at the sound of my drumsticks rabbiting on. I lay listening not wanting to interrupt him. I looked over to see him sat in a chair holding a tiny baby, I didn't dream yesterday's events then.
"You know little man you're hands down the best thing I've ever created. You're the best mistake I've ever made, believe me your dads a screw up, I've made a lot of fucking mistakes in my life already and I'm only twenty-one, well nearly, few more days. Shit fuck sorry little man I didn't mean to swear forget you heard that. Sorry, daddy's twitchy thumbs tapping your butt. I can't move until uncle Matty gets back incase I drop you. Oh god no, don't shoulder jerk, please, please, please. Hurry up uncle Matty. Phew. Got it under control little man. You look like your uncle Matty, and me, you look like me. I love you, I do, don't look at me like that, why you pouting? I love you and you know what, I love your mum. She's awesome, you are going to love her, I know because I love her, it's impossible not to love her. I'm going to do my best, I promise you. I'm not prepared for you, not by a long shot but your mum she says my spontaneity is a good thing, I hope so. You made a big surprise entrance, where you been hiding eh? Your uncles can't wait to meet you, they're lighting up my phone. The first midnight blue baby, that's you. Baby blue."
"You're still not calling him blue" I sniggered, max looking up

"Hey, you're awake! Shoot I can't move." He flustered, sitting stiffly.
"You're gonna give him ear ache."
"He doesn't squeak if there's noise, he doesn't like if it's too quiet. Do you little man."
"Hello kiddo" Matty opened the door, stepping in with Sandra and Ralph. "How you feeling?"
"Hmmm, I'm not sure."
"Hello sweetheart" Ralph came straight over, fussing over me. "So proud of you, Matty said you were so brave. I think I'm still in shock."
"You're in shock, biggest thing I thought was happening yesterday was the series finale of Max's favourite sci fi show. Shit did you miss it drumsticks?"
"Baby, it doesn't matter" max sniggered "I'll watch it on catch up, think I got I better deal eh little man. You can watch it with me. Yes you can my little buddy. So dressing you up as an alien from the planet sligmist at Halloween."

"So this is him then?" Ralph walked over to max "hello little one I'm Ralph. Look at you handsome boy."
"You wanna have a Hold Ralph?" Max asked
"Sure do, hand him over them"
"I don't know how to, I can't move" max laughed, Sandra coming to help him
"Have you literally not moved since I left the room mate? I didn't mean literally sit still!"
"I can't sit still." Max laughed stretching out, four tics going off consecutively "I've been holding that in."
"Hey look at me, you did, that's all that counts." Matty scolded him
"Not all of them" max sighed getting up for Ralph to sit down "sorry baby. I'm trying, I'll sort my meds out."

"Hey drumsticks" I stroked his cheek then held his twitching thumb "you know this twitchy thumb of yours"
"I'm well acquainted with it."
"So am I." I smiled "it's one of my favourite things."
"It is?"
"Yeah it is max. When your thumbs tapping me while we watch TV, or we're sat on a plane, or laying in bed, it's you letting me know you're there and that you've got me, that I'm safe because you're there. It's you giving me a heartbeat cuddle without actually giving me one. It calms me. It doesn't annoy me, it annoys me when you sit on it rather than let me feel it. I think your boy might like you tapping his itty bitty butt the same as I do."
"You were listening huh? You've never told me that. God I love you." Max kissed me enthusiastically.
"Oi, I said I'm cool with this but ones enough for now thank you" Matty smirked smacking Max's butt playfully.

"Matty?" I asked reaching for him for a hug
"I'm here sis. Just went to get a few hours sleep and fetch the grand......Sandra and Ralph." He shifted awkwardly looking at our surrogate parents. "Max was chomping at the bit to get back when they called him to say the baby was being moved in here with you."
"He got the all clear then max?" Sandra asked
"Oh yeah I think so. Just observation. For both of them." Max looked at Matty then me, I knew that look, the look of we need to tell her something that she's going to kick off about.