The Start Of The Banquet

Kira's POV

"Now... why do you need to attend an Applied Science & Engineering Banquet?"

I was slipping into the same dark, mauve coloured satin dress I bought a little over a year ago for a New Years Eve party that my Department hosted. It was a semi-formal cocktail dress with an 'off the shoulders' design.

"I made a promise with our Dean to ensure one of the main guests felt welcomed..."

"The Dean of the Arts Department asked you to take care of a guest from the ASE program?" I exhaled and turned around.

"Can you just help me zip this?" Hannah chuckled and then walked over to help 'finish' zipping up my dress.

"You look beautiful..."

"Just not usually, right?" I smiled and Hannah hugged her arms around my shoulders.

After a moment I spun around.

"So, how does it look?"

"The sweetheart neckline is lovely... but make sure to wear your long coat you might freeze because of that length..." I smiled and nodded.

"Then I'll be off!" I said while grabbing my clutch.

"Oh! Wait!" Hannah then walked over to her room and came back with a medium-sized box.

"Are these... mom's pearls?"

"They're one of the only things I kept... I think you should wear this tonight."

"Like you said this was an ASE event and not--"

"Please..." Hannah smiled at me and I nodded. I turned around and bent over a little so she could put the necklace on. I touched the cool pearls briefly before kissing Hannah's cheek.

"Call me if you need me. I'll come home immediately if something happens. I told Morgan to check in on you too."

"You worry about me way too much, now go and have a fun time..." I chuckled.

Fun? Meeting that man again... only made me strangely nervous...

I waved goodbye one last time before getting into my car. I made sure to turn on my phone just in case Mr. Sommers decided to call me again...

While I drove to the University I couldn't believe how fast a week passed by... it felt like yesterday we ran into each other at the restaurant...

I turned on some music to distract myself until I arrived. I parked in one of the guest parking lot areas and then waited for Mr. Sommers inside the front entrance of the ASE building. Since the banquet would be in Matherson Hall it would be easy to take a shortcut from here...

After ten minutes of waiting beyond the arranged time, I looked at my phone. I thought about whether or not he was lost by now...

If you needed me to give you my number, then why aren't you calling?

Just as soon as I thought so my phone did light up. I answered and he was asking me where to go.

"What do you see in front of you now... alright... okay, then head straight until you see a sign that says 'Bennett House and then take a right. When you continue down that area you'll see another building called 'Winterview Pavillion.' On the right you'll see a parking garage. First park there and then call me..."

He wasn't that far away... I suppose he was trying to find his way on his own. My phone buzzed again. It was the Dean asking me if everything was alright. I reassured him that we were just running into traffic issues and that we'll be delayed by only another ten minutes...