Never Forgetting Your Love

"Congratulations for winning the AIA this year Ren. I'm sure your mother would have been proud..."

Ren, who had been staring at an array of blue prints for his next project only slightly glanced up at the man in front of him. The glare from his eyes glasses made the person in front of him raise his hands for fear of being slightly blinded by the reflection of glass...

Ren smiled slightly before taking his glasses off. He straightened his posture and dropped his pencil from his hand.

"What do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Mr. Alderson?" Ren stepped out slowly and the man approached him.

"I wanted to greet you in person since you returned home... after all, your father and I--" Ren's shoulders stiffened a little and Mr. Alderson cleared his throat before changing the subject.

"Business matters, Ren..." Mr. Alderson continued and added: "I admired the works you completed in Germany before your international acclaim.... the new museum you created is a piece of art itself... so... I have come to request something..."

"That is?"

"A collaboration."

"For and with who?"

"For a new project... and with my daughter..." Ren's grin turned into a slight smirk.

"Is Delilah unable to consult with my office herself?" there was a slight pause in Mr. Alderson's body language. He seemed a little more embarrassed now.

"You know Delilah... she's been busy of late and asked if I could--"

"I don't build houses, Mr. Alderson. You know that..."

"Yes, of course..."

"Then?"

"This is different... in light of Delilah's image in the media. We would like to contribute more greatly in the community." Ren leaned back a little from his desk and began tapping his finger ever so slightly on the flat, mahogany surface. 

"Continue..."

"We would like to build a school. One that is advanced technologically, is eco friendly and accessible for future students..."

"And?"

"We would like your vision --your creation to come to life... here..." Mr. Alderson reached into his briefcase and took out a folder.

"Information on the project is here. The location, the requirements, the permits..." Ren looked up at Mr. Alderson whose eyes were trembling.

I wondered what your precious daughter threatened you with this time, old man...

Ren sighed and then took the folder.

"I'll have my assistant look through it first. I have prior obligations first."

"Yes of course, I understand!" the same gaze that appeared to be distraught moments ago were brightly lit up again... Ren sighed as he turned back towards his blueprints.

"Oh yes... and..." Mr. Alderson said before leaving: "welcome back..."

Ren watched him carefully leave while hugging onto his briefcase... after he was gone, Ren sat on his office chair and leaned his head against the rest and closed his eyes...

The silence permeated his skin... he could feel his gentle heart beat suddenly arise.

"How long has it been?" he thought of her smile once again and then opened his eyes... 

Ren leaned forward to grab a hold of his pencil again. Before getting back to drawing, he looked over at the small, potted sunflowers across from him... he grinned a little bittersweetly before putting his pencil down to the paper again...

***

"Mr. Sommers..." Ren's eyes flickered open. "Sorry to wake you up but you told me... it's 5 o'clock..."

"Sorry for the delay, Ms. Castillo... you can go home now."

"Thank you... are you sure you don't need me to--" Ren smiled briefly and then shook his head.

"You can let everyone know they can go home for the night. I'll re-connect with the team if I need them..." Ms. Castillo smiled before nodding. She closed the door behind her and Ren exhaled deeply. He held his hands to his hand and rubbed his eyes...

He hadn't gotten a decent night's sleep since the move. He was still a bit jet lagged from all the travelling.

Ren was officially back from living and working in Berlin for 3 years. 

Over the past 8 years he's been in some of the busiest metropolitan's during his career. Before Berlin he lived and worked in Barcelona and then Prague for a period of 2 years each.

The advances in his career were only made possible due to his genius and dedication. Before he graduated from Columbia University with a Masters in Architecture he was accredited to some revolutionary design concepts and won a handful of award-winning models and projects.

He was someone people greatly admired but also scorned because of his progress and recognition. One could only love to hate or hate to love this mysterious man...

Before he was 30 Ren had accomplished seemingly a lifetime of achievements but he was just entering into the highlight of his career. Winning the AIA was only a fraction of what he achieved over years of hard work and innovation...

And although many people thought Ren's greatness was unrivalled he was still a quiet and reserved person in business. 

In his office, while overlooking the lush forest in the distance, Ren's fingers gently pressed the top of the glass. The floor to ceiling windows gently reflected his gaze...

"Will we ever meet again?" he smiled bitter-sweetly. Even after all these years he could not forget... not matter how far he travelled. Their brief relationship was like a fleeting plum blossom fluttering away with the wind. Beautifully temporary... but everlasting.

He could never let memories of the past fade away completely because they were even more vivid than yesterday. That was one of the many reasons why he returned even with little hope of finding her. 

This feeling was wretched as much as it was a sweet reminder that the love he experienced at 18 was like something he would never truly feel again.

Ren turned around while glancing at his phone. It was buzzing slightly. His best friend and principle/main partner at our studio, Luke, that was always there for him no matter what...

"You're still in the office while you dismissed everyone else, right?"

"How'd you know?"

"I knew it... look, just because I have an injury doesn't mean--"

"How is your leg?"

"It's fine. You know how terrible I am at snowboarding but I just wanted to impress--"

"Hmm... who is it this time?"

"Look... you didn't have to fly all the way back from Berlin just for me. The studio has been fine."

"It was time..." Ren turned around to see the beautiful orange and gentle pink hues in the sunset.

"Time? For what? To take my office from me?" Ren smiled to himself.

"You can have your office back. I'll work in the lounge until we build a new addition."

"Forget it. Being in that office for 5 years was lonely.... Ren... are you... really back for real this time?"

Ren turned around and found himself staring at the sunflowers again... they looked like they were glistening underneath the golden ray of light shining into the room.

"Yes I'm... finally back home for good."