A Sudden Revelation

Kira's POV

"Ren... Ren... I didn't do this, I--" he walked over and saw that the sunflower plant had fallen to the ground.

"It was my fault... I'm sorry, Ren..." I said with I'm sure a sense of deep regret in my eyes... and upon that look I noticed that Ren appeared to showcase that bittersweet smile he wore sometimes... I suddenly felt even more terribly. What if this gift had sentimental meaning?

"This is important to him..." the woman whose name was Delilah had whispered a little angrily at me. I suddenly felt incredibly embarrassed. I hadn't seen my blood dripping slightly on top of the flower, turning the beautiful yellow petal into crimson.

Before I moved I saw Ren's hand reach out to hold onto my arm gently. He pulled me up and slowly brought me forward.

"Ren!!" Delilah shouted and I looked over my shoulder slightly. She seemed to wear a look of betrayal and anger... and it wouldn't subside... Ren squeezed my arm slightly so it caught my attention. Just who was this person?

"Delilah... please head back for today, alright?"

After his comment we left together. He brought me to the open lounge on his floor which had been set up to look a little like his own kitchen? With the exception of the marble island there was a fridge and generous space to cook and eat... he brought me over to the sink to rinse my finger.

"I'll be back. Just keep the water running, alright?"

"I'm sorry..." I said and finally I saw him smile warmly once again.

"You don't have to worry, Kira. It was an accident and it can be re-potted... sunflowers are resilient..." he added before looking at my wound briefly.

When he returned he had a first aid kit with him. He gave me a small gauze to dry my wound and then started applying some ointment afterwards. I watched him carefully while his entire focus was on this small cut on my hand.

"I'm sorry she overreacted like that. She knows how important that sunflower is to me..." I nodded slowly.

"It was from someone you care about?" he nodded slowly while bandaging up my finger. I suddenly felt even more terrible.

"Kira... you don't have to worry, honestly... it's not like it's the only thing that person gave to me..." when I looked up at him I felt like there was a hint of sadness under his expression and it compelled me to reach out and touch the side of his hand which was just finishing covering up my wound.

"Let me re-pot it for you..." I suggested and a slow smile started to form at the side of his mouth.

"Thanks..."

While he put the first aid kit away I sat there thinking about what to do next... when he approached me he said: "how about we meet some other time?" and I nodded.

"Mr. Sommers..." I saw that Vanessa was now approaching us. She spoke briefly to Ren before he turned to me.

"I'll be right back..." after he left I decided to go and get my coat and bag from his office. When I got there I noticed that Deliah hadn't left. It looked like she had just finished cleaning up the mess the sunflower pot had made. When she heard me walk into the room she dropped the dustpan and stepped out. She stood across from me quietly.

"I... am just picking up a few things..." I knew I didn't have to explain anything to her. But for some reason it felt like if I didn't she would get upset again... there was something undeniable about her intense gaze. There was hostility and I wasn't sure as to why...

"Who are you?" she asked while I grabbed my jacket and bag. I looked over at the sunflower she had placed on his desk.

"An acquaintance..." I said while walking towards her. She seemed a little taken aback that I was approaching her. But when I was about to take the sunflower she grabbed onto my wrist aggressively. I winced and looked at her.

"Since when does an acquaintance take someone's personal belongings?"

"I told Ren that I would re-pot this sunflower as an apology for dropping it in the first place..." she scoffed as I spoke. "You can confirm it with him..." I motioned towards my wrist and tried shaking her off. She removed her hand from me as I carefully put on my jacket and then carried the sunflower with me towards the door.

"Do you know who I am?" she asked and I turned around to stare at her... I didn't have a clue. But based on how he treated her coldly earlier it seemed like they had a strained relationship.

"No..." she smirked at me while crossing her arms. While she stepped forward I noticed that she stepped into the small pile of dirt she created.

"I'm his fiancee..." my eyes narrowed a little. I wondered if I could believe this? Ren was engaged? A sinking feeling dropped inside of my heart while I tried to process all of my emotions leading up to this moment.

"Congratulations..." I said while attempting to grin. She must have noticed how uncomfortable I was so she smiled a little. When I held my hand onto the door to open it she spoke up again.

"There's an event I'm hosting for the new project Ren and I are working on..." I wondered what she was talking about but she continued. "It's by invitation only so I want to personally extend one to you... it's for a new 'state of the art' school he's designing..."

It suddenly dawned on me why this project was probably important to Ren. Even though he gave no indication to me that he was engaged... although it wasn't like I had been looking at him a certain way anyway... but still... my heart felt a little confused despite what was obviously happening right now.

There wasn't a place for me to begin with...

The sudden thought was shocking to me.

"So, will you be attending?" it took a moment for me to register what she was saying.

"I'll check my schedule..." before I left I realized a few things...

Other than that woman holding animosity towards me, it was that I thought about Ren a lot more deeply than I originally considered... thinking back on all the times he was there for me... thinking back on even the small moments we were able to share together... it was a lot more endearing and precious to me than it probably was to him...

After walking out of the elevator and heading towards my car I reached into my pockets to grab my car keys but instead I grabbed Ren's gloves that he leant me and I thought about the time when he ensured I got to my sister on time when she was sent to the hospital, and then that time he ensured my safe return at the gym by staying by my side and then when we met outside near the library...

It was all of these simple, but meaningful moments that made my heart fold into pieces...

How could I not realize it sooner? I clutched the glove into one hand and then looked at the sunflower in the other and I wondered how much longer I would have to keep holding onto these items of his...

I looked over my shoulder once at his office before walking forward...