A Beautiful Sunflower

Kira's POV

I woke up in a daze. So I stretched a little and yawned in place...

When I finally got a chance to look around and see where I was I noticed that I was in my own bed. Surprised, I sat up a little wary.

"I made you some hangover soup..." over the last month Hannah's stomach had grown a little more rounder. For some reason, even holding a light tray with a cup of soup made me feel guilty.

"Sorry, Hann... I took over the bed right?"

"No, I stayed with you last night... see, I told you it would be fine..." I groaned a little. Thinking back about how drunk I must have been last night made me feel anxious. Hannah put the tray on the side table and sat next to me.

"Sorry, this is embarrassing..." Hannah chuckled.

"Should I remind you about the time I had to--"

"No! Not at all..." I sighed and put my hands on my head.

"Kira... last night... did you remember--" I looked up at Hannah a little stunned.

"I don't recall anything past sitting outside waiting for Aster... why? Did I do something even more embarrassing?" my cheeks felt like they were burning right now.

"No, no... you just... kept telling me that you thought the stove top was left on..."

"Really? That's all?"

"You did spend an hour sitting on the kitchen floor insisting a fire would happen if you didn't guard the area..."

"I'm going to crawl into a hole..." I leaned forward and Hannah caught me in her arms and gently stroked the top of my head.

*

Some time later, since I had the day off, I made some more arrangements with our new real estate agent. She had already found several potential places for us. It felt more promising than my own failed attempts.

"Kira I want to stock up on some pantry items before going to the florist... want to come along?"

I needed to spend a bit more time outside since I had been cooped up in my apartment, department, or classes for the last month that I didn't get a chance to enjoy a walk outside. My version of getting any fresh air was opening up a window when I had a lot of work to do...

"Let's go..." I said and after changing we both stepped out of the apartment and onto the sidewalk...

"It's such a beautiful sunny day out, eh?" Hannah said while admiring the clouds in the distance. "We won't get too many more of these days before fall settles in, right?" I nodded while she sighed.

"Then let's enjoy our day," she nodded excitedly while we walked ahead...

Although I felt a little queasy here and there I was able to run errands with Hannah. Along the way, however, I had several drinks and therefore had to use the bathroom a few times...

When we got to the floral shop Hannah released her arm from mine. We had been walking with linked arms together.

"We're here..." Hannah gently pushed me in first and I was greeted by an older woman who I assumed was the florist. Hannah took over the conversation shortly after about the order she wanted to make for her 'lowkey' baby shower...

While her and the florist went back and forth on some details I took a little walk around the store...

I smiled at the beautiful sight of orchids, red and pink roses, white carnations, and an assortment of tropical plants... but of course the flower that caught my attention the most was a lone sunflower plant across from me... it wasn't just because they always appeared in my dreams, but because sunflowers always made me feel a sense of happiness I couldn't explain...

As though it would shatter under any human touch, I gently grazed the side of a bright yellow petal and smiled.

"Kira.." I looked over my shoulder and saw that Hannah had finished her business with the florist. I started to walk towards Hannah, but it felt like a gravitational pull made me desire this flower for some reason... I looked over my shoulder a little mesmerized.

I couldn't leave this sunflower behind...

So I picked up and clutched the sides of the ceramic pot it was resting in.

"I'll take this one..." I walked towards the florist and she smiled. When I passed Hannah, however, she seemed surprised.

"You've never had a particular interest in flowers..."

"This isn't just any flower though..."

"Why?" Hannah asked blankly and I stared at her for a moment before turning towards the register.

"I'm not quite sure but... it will look nice in our new house right?" Hannah sighed and then leaned in to hug the side of my waist.

"Surely..."

After we left the shop Hannah spotted a bakery across the street. She pointed at it happily while encouraging me to follow after her.

When we were done shopping for an assortment of freshly made loaves, muffins and croissants we went back home. After I opened the door I raced over to the kitchen with the several bags I had been carrying for the last twenty minutes.

"A pregnant woman's cravings are truly unrivaled..." I said completely out of breath.

"There were two for one specials. We can freeze a lot of these..." I rolled my eyes dramatically and she walked over while laughing.

"Oh!" Hannah exclaimed while holding onto her stomach. I turned around alert to her sudden noise and held onto her arm.

"What happened?!"

"Nothing... I mean not nothing... the baby is kicking..." Hannah said while smiling... for just a moment I realized how real this truly was... there was a living being growing inside of her...

"Can I..." I asked while hesitating and she nodded understandingly. I reached over and gently touched the side of her belly and felt a tiny kick. I chuckled and my hand smoothed a little more to the right and I looked up at Hannah in amazement.

"How does it feel Auntie Kira?" I smiled brightly

"Amazing...I can't wait to meet them..." when the kicking ended Hannah leaned in to caress the side of my cheek gently.

"Let's make some dinner, alright?" I nodded and started to gather ingredients with her...

After I set the table we sat together playing cards. Our stew was simmering in the background while we drank some homemade lemonade together...

"Have you thought of names already?"

"Hmm... only a few..."

"Like?"

"Something like... Autumn, Diana, or Jade..." I nodded as she smacked down a few cards. She cheered in the spot while I glared at her. No matter what I did she always beat me at poker.

"I give up. Just name your child Lucky."

"Oh? Should I?" I scoffed.

"Hann, your kid will hate me if you do that..." Hannah laughed and after a moment of silence Hannah spoke.

"I was thinking of Laine..." I closed my eyes briefly and then leaned over to touch the top of her hands.

"I think that would be nice..." Hannah smiled a little before wiping a few stray tears away...

"The stew is probably ready..." Hannah hurled herself up and walked over to the kitchen. I smiled a little while she stirred the ingredients together in the pot. Moments later I walked over to cut some of the French bread we bought...

Laine, after all, was our late mother's name...

If it was meant to be that child's name then... it was truly meant to be...