True Taste of Devastation

Ren parked his car in the underground garage at his father's company.

He didn't hesitate to quickly run over to the elevator and make his way to the top of the tower...

When he arrived he saw that his father was facing the large window in front of him. His back was turned to him...

"You've arrived..." Godric spoke while slightly turning his head. "Would you like some whisky? Bourbon?"

"Cut the shit. You know why I'm here." with his curt response Godric half-grinned amusingly and turned to face his son, who looked as though he was about to crush the living daylights out of the person standing in front of him.

"Now, now, Ren... I'm still your father."

"What did you do to Kira?"

"You seem to have misunderstood something..." Ren scoffed and walked in further to confront Godric.

While Godric poured himself a glass of liquor Ren whipped his hand out to make contact with the glass. It shattered onto the ground making a crisp sound. While the liquid slowly dripped onto the ground Godric turned to face him.

"You're unruly behaviour is why I must do certain things to protect you."

"Protect? What are you talking about? You've never protected me. The only thing you've been capable of doing is attempting to control me. To shape me into a version of you."

"So what? You're my son. Of course I would do what I can to ensure your bright future ahead."

"A bright future? Do you think I ever cared about something like that? I never wanted to become you. And that was always the problem, wasn't it?!" Godric leaned in and raised his hand. Before he slapped his hand across Ren's face he hesitated briefly and then fixed his suit. He seemed more worried about wrinkling his suit. He stepped away from Ren and then stopped once again, his back turned to him.

"After all of these years..." Ren started. "I have never once followed the path you set for me so I want to know... what you did to her back then?"

There was a brief moment of silence between them before Godric turned around.

"I tried to get rid of her..." Ren leaned in without hesitation and gripped at the collar of his father's shirt, which angered him. Godric pushed him away aggressively and Ren bumped into his father's desk behind him.

"You... you son of a bitch..." Ren's bloodshot eyes looked up at Godric as though he was getting ready to explode again.

"You're mistaken, I said..." while Godric fixed his collared shirt he spoke calmly:

"I met with her a few times at first. Each time she turned down my request with resolve. She told me that the two of you were in love. That if you weren't meant to be then that would be the decision between the two of you. She got rather flustered when I tried to offer her money. She left my office after I warned her that she would be ruining her future. That there wouldn't be a second time..."

Ren slunk back and held his hand to his forehead in despair... during that time when his father was pressuring him she was as strong... it made him feel pathetic that he couldn't have stood by her side during that time. If he wasn't scared of what his father would do to her and took ahold of her hand during that time and tried to stand up together... would things be different? He wondered. The very thought felt like it would haunt him for the rest of his life.

"She told me that she wouldn't leave you because I didn't approve..." Godric scoffed a little, remembering what she said. "Then... yes, I escalated it a little. I sent her warnings in person and she wouldn't listen..." Ren gripped the side of his desk as he stood up to listen to what he was about to say next.