Unexpected Ties

Kira's POV

Of all places in this large city to accidentally meet... we ended up in the same place for lunch time?

Our department rarely had lunches outside of our office but to mark a special occasion --one of our alumnus won a prestigious literary award, our Dean insisted on celebrating with some members of our faculty that would be hosting the alumnus for their speaking event and book signing...

What were the odds?

I thought about it momentarily... and then I suddenly realized this place was a lot closer to his workplace...

I shook my head a few times and then put my pen back into my bag. It slipped out of my hand when I was trying to find my phone...

When I suddenly thought about the exact moment when the two of our gazes met... my cheeks flushed again...

I hadn't seen who he was because he was turned away from me when I was slowly approaching the rest room area and then my pen just...

After going to the bathroom I reminded myself that since I accepted his apology I would just move on... it wasn't like we would have another chance to meet.

Our worlds were too far a part...

When I exited the bathroom, I headed back to our table. I could hear our Dean's boisterous laugh from a distance and couldn't help but grin...

I looked over my shoulder unconsciously... when I realized I was trying to spot him in the crowd I wondered why...

There wasn't a reason to... especially since we didn't really know each other.

After sitting down I made small talk with some of the other Professors in my department before taking a sip of my wine...

After our lunch both my party and that man's were exiting around the same time. Before I had a chance to go with Morgan to her car, our Dean excitedly shouted out towards someone a few metres away from our group.

"If it isn't the Mr. Ren Sommers?!" I turned around and saw the Dean approach Ren... the name I had forgotten until now.

Morgan and I stood still while the others escaped to their vehicles. It seems like Ren's team was also doing the same.

"It's a pleasure to meet...?" Ren said while stepping forward.

"My apologies, Mr. Sommers. I'm the Dean for the Faculty of Arts at a nearby University. I admire your work because of a colleague of mine."

"Oh, that's wonderful. I'm glad to hear..." Ren replied.

I must have stepped forward because when I looked to my side Morgan was catching up to me. I tried to step back again but Ren had already looked over at me again.

"She would be so happy I ran into you. She's been the Dean of Applied Sciences & Engineering for over 20 years."

"Oh, I see..."

"Now, if it wouldn't be too intrusive to ask... will you be in town?"

"I... have moved back permanently."

"What excellent news! Then can I be so bold as to ask... to commemorate our Applied Sciences & Engineering programs anniversary of its inception we're hosting a small banquet for honour students and of course faculty members... would you care to join us?"

"Join?"

"Yes, I know this is rather unusual... considering I know you haven't worked with Universities before. You would be compensated... if this is too much then--" I watched Ren's gaze slowly glaze over.