Memory Loss

Kira's POV

"How are the clothes?" I looked over at Ren who was still staring out of the window... there seemed to be no end in sight for the rain that was falling...

"They're... comfortable..." Ren slowly turned around and nodded. While I slowly sat down again he walked away from the window. Just when I saw him heading towards the kitchen again I clenched the sides of the pair of sweatpants he gave me and closed my eyes.

"It was from an accident I had a long time ago..." I could hear Ren's footsteps slowly fade. He must have stopped in place. I opened my eyes and glanced over to look at him and his back was towards me.

It wasn't like it was forbidden for me to share what happened to me. It was my experience and my scarring. And although I didn't owe anyone my story... for Ren, it seemed like it was only the most natural thing to do at this point. I didn't want to avoid it especially since everything about that scar is also 'me.'

"I don't remember most of the details... but when I woke up my family told me I had been hit by a car... unfortunately a lot of my memory was lost during that time..." Ren hadn't turned around to look at me yet, but I noticed that he was bowing his head a little now...

"When... was that?" he asked timidly.

"About... 12 years ago?" there was a deafening silence between us. It was difficult for me to stand up but I did. I tried walking towards him but I noticed that his aura completely changed... when I told people this story usually they would say:

'That's terrible!'

'I'm so happy you survived such a tragic ordeal!'

'Does it still hurt?'

'How are you now?'

But for Ren there was just silence... and it made me worry.

"Ren...?" I asked and he slowly turned around. His eyes looked a little bloodshot. I was so taken aback that I nearly tripped over myself. When he noticed my shock he looked away for a moment and then smiled at me tenderly.

"Would you like me to make you something to eat?" I tilted my head ever so slightly, trying to figure out the reason why he replied this way... and I wondered if it was because he was being considerate of me. I closed my eyes briefly and then opened them again shortly after.

"Thank you..." Ren nodded and then walked over to the kitchen... I slowly sat down again. I felt a little flushed after having revealed an intimate and painful part of my past... but when I looked over at Ren taking out a few things from the fridge I realized that he probably felt sympathetic towards me... and that he knew someone or he had been through something similar...

And he too wished someone would react this way...

Thinking this was the case it gave me a little more peace of mind. After a few more minutes I stood up and slowly walked over to the kitchen. I saw him chopping up some vegetables for a salad.

When I leaned over the marble island a little he looked up at me. He seemed surprised I walked over. I saw him mincing the veggies very finely...

I was surprised we had the same tastes.... I needed my vegetables to be cut very small before I put them in any dish. Ever since I was young it was the only way I would eat my food... although it's gotten better over the years salads were the exception...

"So you like cutting up your vegetables like this too?" a gentle smile formed on my lips and I looked up at Ren who seemed to have gone back to his 'regular' self. He smirked at me and nodded.