Finding A Forever Home

Kira's POV

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Hannah had been on my case this entire week about accompanying me to look at the houses the real estate agent found for us, but I didn't want to stress her about any minor details...

"I won't make a final decision without you, Hann..."

"That's not what I mean..." she sighed a little before crossing her arms.

"This isn't your sole responsibility. Plus you worked all week."

"I'm fine. It's only 3 houses today. Don't worry..."

"Alright... but call me when you're finished..."

"I will.... I'll see you in a bit. Call me if you need me!" Hannah nodded before I left.

I looked at the address on my phone and then proceeded to my car before driving out... the first location was only twenty minutes out of the city and a thirty minute drive to the University I worked at. It was a good start...

When I got there I greeted Deanna, the real estate agent I had been in contact with.

"It's nice to finally meet you Kira..."

"Likewise, Deanna. Thank you for all of your help."

"Of course. If you may, it's right this way..."

She led me forward while I admired the exterior a little. It had a rustic vibe to it...

On the inside, however, it was contemporary looking. It had a long hallway leading to the dining room and kitchen, where there were varying shades of oak cupboards and flooring...

She showed me that the bedroom connected to the bathroom on the first floor which was promising to me because it would be good for Hannah right now. It was fairly sized too... upstairs there were 2 bedrooms. They all had decent sized closets as well... but it felt like something was missing...

So Deanna took me to the second location which was a little closer to my University. Although it had a beautiful backyard and full carpeting there was also something missing...

When she took me to the last one I was a little anxious because it was further away from the others. It would be about a 45 minute commute to work give or take with traffic. Although the hospital would be 20 minutes away it still seemed a little far away from what I was used to...

When we got there I noticed there was an open-house event going on. When I parked close by I couldn't help but admire this house from a distance. When I got closer I was a little shocked about how much my heart ached... it reminded me of our childhood home. There was a nice bay window at the front and along porch there was a swinging chair set...

"Kira...?" Deanna asked and I smiled. 

"Sorry, I thought the Walters were having their open house tomorrow. We can reschedule if you like?" I shook my head and then walked towards the house...

I passed by a few people while Deanna talked about the specifics of the house. The kitchen overlooked a fairly-sized backyard. There were 3 bedrooms upstairs. One of which I envisioned to be the baby room... the staircase had soft, white carpeting.

I was a little amazed by how perfect this house was. I took a few photos for Hannah and her reaction was the same as mine...

"Deanna, we're interested... can we start negotiating?"

"Are you sure, Kira? I can show you more if you like?"

"No... this feels right..." Deanna smiled and nodded.

"I'll lead with our offer. What the market value was as I shared with you and what we are willing to start with, alright?"

"I trust you..." Deanna left my side and within a few minutes I was all alone in the house... 

I stepped towards the living room. 

Everything on the first floor was an open concept... I looked out of the bay window and smiled at the large garden bed outside... 

I heard a tiny little bark at my feet and I looked down. It was a small Scottish Terrier. It was definitely the family's dog... I crouched down slowly and patted the dog's head and he panted happily.

"What's your name, cutie?" I looked at their collar and spotted their name. 

"Dream...? How pretty..." I smiled a little more before there was a sudden crash in the distance. It was loud enough to frighten the dog... the door, which had been accidentally left open, was where Dream raced out of.

"Wait up!!"

I launched myself towards Dream and saw him running towards the sidewalk which was very close to the road.

"Dream! Stop!" he seemed to be startled a little by my voice but I was still nervous since he was close to the road. An accident could happen in an instance, after all...

I walked forward as calmly as I could, hoping not to stir him. When I was close to him I could hear a car's engine in the distance. That startled Dream so he rushed forward just before I grabbed him. He raced out onto the road.

"No!!" I shouted while turning my body towards him. When I raced towards him I was finally able to scoop him up. But I underestimated how close the car was to us. I heard it screech to a stop but before I knew it I had already braced my body and stepped back.

When the car stopped my heart started racing.

For some reason I felt terribly nauseous so I leaned forward and stumbled a little. When I fell down to my knees I placed Dream beside me. He seemed worried about me since he was whining nonstop and licking my hand which was resting on the ground.

Perhaps this was because in the past I... I shuddered suddenly at the thought.

I looked over at the car and the headlights were shut off. I suddenly felt disoriented while staring at the front of the car. My chest tightened and it felt like I would hyperventilate. I saw a few wet tears escape my eyes and fall onto the pavement.

"Why..." I whispered to myself. I wondered why I was so panicked. There was no logical explanation for this undeniable fear and panic inside of my heart. Even if in the past I...

When I started trembling I tried to regain my balance by standing but I fell back. I expected to land roughly on the ground but someone caught me in their arms. 

The sunset in the distance made their appearance like a nightly shadow... I couldn't make out their features but they were calling out to me... I thought they were shouting my name for some reason? But before I could ask who they were my eyes shut and everything went silent.