Re:connect

"Luke, have you finished the paperwork for our new contract administrator?"

"Yes, she'll start this Monday. Ren, have you met Addison yet?"

"Our production architect?"

"Yes. She doesn't have your contact information yet because she was on vacation but she will be back this week. I forgot to tell you I gave her your number. Expect a call from her on Monday as well."

"It's only been a week since I came back. Why does it feel like you left me a bulk of administrative work?"

"Ha... boss, give me a break, alright? You haven't really met anyone yet right? This is a good way to introduce yourself..." Ren sighed to himself.

"Avery, The Finance and Operations Manager... will he have any issues with overtime this weekend?"

"Why? I think not."

"The high rise project needs to be overseen as soon as possible. I want to work with our main spec writer and a few senior architects before submitting designs to Addison."

"Wow... you sure get the ball rolling when you get back."

"Luke, when are you able to come back?"

"Oh, I thought you wanted me to rest?" Ren smiled halfheartedly.

"We need the head of the firm here for everything to function properly. I may have founded this company but I'm still an architect... besides, I need my project manager back."

"So it's really about work?"

"What else would it be?"

"Boring... you could just say you miss me..." Ren scoffed at the thought and prepared to hang up.

"Wait! Wait! I know you're going to hang up on me. Hold on... I have a favour..."

"What happened?"

"Nothing, I just... kind of made a promise I can't keep..."

"What is it this time?"

"This time... you make it sound like I'm a compulsive liar." Ren was prepared to hang up again. 

"Hold on! Hold on! Alright, my parents are having an open house tomorrow evening and well... I haven't told them I broke my leg while snowboarding..." Ren exhaled.

"You know them... if I don't show up they'll be angry since I promised a while ago. But if you go afterwards they'll be happy to see you in my place."

"Luke..."

"Yes?..."

"You know you're--"

"Thank you so much! I owe you! I'll let them know. Have a good night!"

"Hey!" Ren shouted as he hung up. Ren glared at his cell phone bitterly. "I don't have a problem seeing them, but you're such... I'll bury you in paper work..."

"Mr. Sommers," Ren looked up at the door. Ms. Castillo had knocked a few times before she opened the door.

"You have a guest... I tried to tell them you would be in meetings all day as instructed but they insisted..."

"Who is it?"

"A woman by the name of--" and at that moment a woman barged past Ms. Castillo.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Sommers..." Ren raised his hand.

"It's alright, Ms. Castillo. Can you tell Avery to meet me in the boardroom?" she nodded before leaving.

"You haven't been answering my calls..."