The Past Revealed

Kira's POV

I managed to get back home after quite some time. When I arrived Hannah was there... she was sewing in the living room.

"Where on earth have you been?"

I took a few detours before coming home. I spent some time sitting alone at the pier... and then took a walk in the park. I also ended up walking along the streets where local businesses flourished. I walked in a daze... trying to remember where I parked my car...

"Sorry..." I didn't want to confront Hannah since she was close to her due date... but a piece of me really wanted to talk to her about what happened...

"Hey... what's wrong?" I needed to avoid her... but she was already walking over to me. After I took off my shoes I proceeded to the staircase.

"Kira... Kira... I'm talking to you!!" I stopped at the edge of the step and slowly turned to her.

"Hann... it's been a long day. I'm just a little tired that's all..." before I was able to walk up the steps she walked over and held onto my arm.

"You... what happened? This is unlike you. You look completely drained... nothing from work has ever--"

"Hannah... please don't ask me any questions... I promise I'll talk to you later..."

Before I was able to make my way half way up Hannah called out to me again so I turned around.

"Just like the time when you had to be taken to the hospital when you were visiting houses and you didn't tell me? Or the time when you fainted at the event?"

"How did..."

"I know Kira... and I'm stronger than you think. Why are you hiding these things from me? I'm your sister. I care about you..."

Something inside of me must have sparked because I suddenly felt a wave of anger and no matter how I pressed down the urge to stop getting upset I couldn't help it.

"Hiding things? That's interesting... considering the secret you held from me for 12 years."

"What... what are you talking about?" I made my way down the steps again and stood in front of Hannah. She seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and that made me feel even more angry.

"Why didn't you tell me as soon as you knew?"

"What are you talking about Kira?"

"You know what I'm talking about Hannah. I'm not the only one keeping secrets... and if it was for my well being I could say the same for you."

"Kira... what happened?"

"I'm talking about Ren Sommers. The same person I knew in the past and recently reunited with and had no idea..." I could see layers of understanding reflect in Hannah's eyes and I felt a few pangs of despair in my heart.

"How did you..."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Kira... it... it was complicated."

"I know... but you should have told me..."

"Wait... how much do you know?"

"A lot... I understand that my accident was..." I held onto my head and in that moment Hannah braced me. I didn't dare push her away because I was tired and lost and I felt alone...

"What really happened Hannah? I really... I really need to know more details. I only have fragments in my mind... I just need to understand..." I looked up at Hannah who looked like she was on the verge of bursting into tears. So, without words, she escorted me to the couch and we sat across from one another. She held onto my hands firmly and sighed.