A Seedling Of Change

2 WEEKS LATER

"Mr. Sommers... I've prepared the material for the meeting this afternoon with Interstellar Pictures. Addison also let me know she'll be a few minutes late to the meeting because of the last minute revisions she was making with Diana... Mr. Sommers... Mr. Sommers"

"Yes... thank you, Ms. Castillo... and can I trouble you to order a large coffee for me again?"

"Of course sir... the usual?" Ren nodded and Ms. Castillo slowly exited his office...

Since his abrupt meeting with Kira, Ren has been a little absent-minded here and there... although he's been working diligently to get his mind off of their confrontation he grew anxious and regretful every day since her departure.

While looking across his desk Ren looked over at the sunflower plant delicately... this was his sole source of hope after all these years... wanting to meet her again after all this time was naive of him. The past is something he could never change. And he had been living with the past firmly in his mind. He had been so set on the past being the key to his future... but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Right now the past was a source of pain and regret rather than solely a place of love and desire...

Ren stood up and walked over to the sunflower. He hesitated momentarily before picking it up... he thought about this for a while now. No matter how devastating it was for him... Kira had and will continue to suffer knowing what happened in the past. Even if he wasn't driving the car... his father will forever be responsible for hurting her...

He promised to take care of her and he couldn't even do that... he wanted her to be free. He wanted her to live her life with a kind of happiness that seemed impossible... he just wanted her smile to return...

He slowly brought the sunflower over to his trash bin and stood there quietly. If he had ended things already... he really should do this until the end... a few more seconds passed by before he let the sunflower slip through his fingers and into the end of the dark trash bag...

There was a knock on the door. He turned to see that Delilah had entered into his office.

"Sorry for the sudden visit... I wanted to talk to you but I couldn't get through..." Ren sighed to himself a little. He stared at her a moment longer until Ms. Castillo popped her head into the office surprised that Delilah had gotten through yet again. Ren raised his hand to prevent her from apologizing. Instead he accepted his coffee and then told Delilah they could take a walk to her car together and talk for a bit...

When they got to the front foyer, Ren opened the door and a cold gust of wind blew through. 

Although it had gotten much colder Ren could hardly tell the difference... Delilah, who was wearing a pencil skirt shivered slightly. Ren noticed her discomfort and told her they could go inside again to chat a little more but she refused.

"I rather be out here..." Delilah strut forward and Ren followed her shortly after. 

A moment later, Delilah slowed to a stop and Ren looked up at her curiously. They stared at one another briefly before Delilah took the initiative to speak. 

"We... were supposed to get married, right?" Ren wasn't expecting her to talk so directly about this... they hadn't talked about something like this in person before. It was just something their fathers had arrogantly decided on their own... he knew Delilah's feelings and he's tried to be obvious about his rejections but this time... he really needed to have a clearing with her.

"Can you picture us married?" Delilah chuckled a little. "In the past I did..." 

Ren watched a bird flying overhead while Delilah spoke. "But now... it's like I'm chasing an illusion.... something that was never meant to be and never will be, right?" Ren slowly looked back down at Delilah's downcast expression. She had been staring off to the side, possibly embarrassed and a little anxious.