A Step Forward

"Kira?" Ren said softly after her eyes opened briefly.

He remembered the same piercing, amber eyes he was equally drawn to back then as he was now...

How could this be possible? Her entire body slumped forward and Ren broke her fall by holding her up from her waist. Her body naturally pressed against his chest. 

"Kira...?" he asked again, but of course she wouldn't answer...

"Oh my god! Is she okay!!?!" Ren looked over to his right. He was still shocked by the sudden reunion he was having...

"Is she alright? Let's call an ambulance!"

"She fainted a moment ago. I think she was just startled..."

"Ren, dear?" Ren looked over to see Luke's parents overlooking the situation.

"It's alright Mrs. Walters. I'll help send her to the hospital..."

"Wait! I'll call!" Deanna whipped out her phone immediately.

"It'll be faster in my car."

"We don't know--"

"It's alright! Ren is a family friend. You can trust he will bring her to the hospital... please, go with them and take care of each other. You can call us at a much later time when it is best for you..." Deanna nodded, still shaken by the situation. She helped Ren take Kira to the car.

Ren gently laid Kira's head against the seat and put on her seat belt. He then rushed back over to the driver's seat while Deanna got into the backseat.

"I should call her sister...wait, no... I don't want to stress her..." Deanna said as Ren looked at her panicked expression while dialling the number. Ren searched for the nearest hospital on his GPS machine before taking off.

Deanna leaned forward to check on Kira.

"What happened to her?"

"She was probably frightened. She stepped in front of my car to protect the dog."

"She must have been shocked... who else can I call? I can contact her co-worker... the one who referred me through a friend of mine..." Ren watched closely as she spoke into the phone.

"Yes, may I speak with a Dr. Morgan Alexander? Can you please tell her this is an emergency... her friend Kira fainted and I have no one else to contact....." Ren gripped the steering wheel and looked over at Kira, having confirmed what he knew all along.

He had a mixture of emotions inside of his heart... there was a longingness and a happiness, but there was also frustration and anger... for how long he waited for a moment he didn't know would ever come? But now that she was here it was incredibly unbelievable...

Deanna waited for a bit and then answered the phone when someone picked up.

"Who is?... yes, Dr. Fletcher I've heard about you too... yes, if it wouldn't trouble you... the hospital? Right..." Deanna confirmed with Ren the location they were going to then hung up. She sighed in the backseat before leaning forward to check on her again...

"I hope everything is alright... they were looking for a house to raise the baby, too..."

Ren almost lost control of the steering wheel, but luckily there was a red light so he had been on the verge from stopping.

"Everything alright?!" Deanna asked nervously. Suddenly, Ren could feel his heart in all corners of his body. He turned to look at Kira bitter-sweetly...

Of course he couldn't have expected her to wait for him...

A rise of heat rested inside of his chest and cheeks but he persisted forward to the hospital, stealing as many glances at her as possible. Feeling as though she would materialize or that this was a dream...