XXXVIII

My next story, Mafia Marriage: Chicago, will be coming out as soon as this one is finished!

Also I hope that everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

"Fuck no!" Marco shouted.

"You're never going to say another word to her!" Joe declared.

Salvatore held up a hand to silence his two sons. "This is Laura's decision, she can speak for herself." He gestured for his niece to follow him out of kitchen and into the living room, where they could talk in private. "Do you want to have a word with him?"

Laura hesitated for just a second before answering, "Yes. I won't be long, but I want to speak to him one last time."

The older man nodded his head in understanding, "Fine. Do you want anyone in there with you?"

She shook her head. "No, I need to do this alone."

Salvatore guided her back into the kitchen and motioned for the other four men to follow him into the living room. They filed out after him, but Vinnie lingered a few seconds longer, searching her face for confirmation that she was comfortable being by herself with Matteo. When she gave him a small nod he turned and left, but not before Matteo caught the brief interaction.

"Something going on between the two of you?" He sneered at her when he was sure they were alone.

Laura gave him a quizzical look, "Why would that bother you? Aren't you the one that was repeatedly unfaithful?"

"Because you're mine, that's why. I wonder what you're uncle would think about allowing a whore like you to live in his house, he'd probably throw you out on your ass like you deserve."

Laura took a seat at one of the kitchen tables. "You're a very hateful man Matteo. You have so much anger inside of you, it's unnatural."

"Shut the fuck up," he spit.

She ignored him, "When we first met, I thought you were the boy-next-door type. You certainly weren't behaving the way you are now, if that had been the case then I never would've even entertained the idea of marrying you."

"Why did you?"

"Why did I what?" Laura cut her eyes over to him.

"Marry me. We both know the reason I married you, you were the next best thing to marrying one of the Boss's daughters. But why did you go through with marrying me?"

Laura thought about how she wanted to answer for a minute before saying, "I settled for you when I couldn't marry the man that I truly wanted. I didn't go into our marriage with any love but I figured that it would come eventually, and I thought that you would return the feelings. But you wouldn't allow for that to happen, you set out to make my life a living hell. So I have to ask this...why did you do that? Why couldn't you treat me better Matteo?"

Her question stumped him, he couldn't formulate a response. He didn't have an answer for his abhorrent behavior or his horrible actions towards her.

When he didn't respond she continued, "Your parents were also terrible, they treated me as if I were a meal ticket. They saw my familial connection as a stepping stone to get higher up in the Bellucci Family. But when I didn't get pregnant, your family shamed me to anyone that would listen. Your mother was especially bad, always making passive aggressive remarks whenever I saw her. She acted as if it were my sole job to get pregnant and if I didn't then I was wasting your time."

Matteo reverted back to his normal demeanor, "Well isn't that your only job, to get pregnant? You couldn't do the one thing that you were supposed to do as a woman. Then again I shouldn't have been surprised, your mother was a weak wom-"