XIX

Picture Of Laura

One Week Later

"So the wifey wants to start working?" Dante chuckled from the chair that was in front of Gio's office desk at The Granada Hotel.

The Granada Hotel was the official headquarters of Graziano Enterprises, it was located on 5th Avenue with a spectacular view of Central Park. It was important to have legitimate businesses to cover the illegal activities that the mafia families were involved in. The Grazianos had chosen hotels as their main venture, and they were incredibly successful at it. They owned and operated hotels all over the country, and were making plans to expand globally, preferably into Europe.

"Yeah she says that she had become bored of staying at home all day," Gio ran hand through his hair. Giulia had not stopped talking about getting a job for an entire week, when she wanted to something she knew how to get it. The fact that her family lived two and a half hours away in Long Island didn't help the situation.

"Are you going to give in?" Vincent asked pouring himself a drink from the bar cart.

"No, she's going to have to get over it," Gio said adamantly.

"You can't keep her locked up and hidden away from everyone forever," Vincent reminded him. 

"I'll find something that will keep her occupied," Gio turned back to the papers that were spread over his desk. He was going over the profits from the family's various small businesses that were spared throughout New York and New Jersey.

"Doesn't she have that cousin that lives in Queens? We went to her wedding a few years ago," Dante said. "What's her name Lauren? Or Lori?"

"Laura," Vincent answered lighting a cigarette.

"Yeah that's it," Dante nodded. "Why don't you invite her over? Giulia would probably get off your case if she had a friend around."

Gio thought about it. Laura Bianchi, now Laura Ricci, had married Matteo Ricci five years ago. Matteo was a soldier and a made man in the Bellucci Family, he had risen through the ranks starting from when her was a teenager and had eventually gotten close enough to Don Bellucci to ask if he could date Laura. Laura's mother was Donatella's older sister, and once Laura's father died when she was a toddler Salvatore and Donatella had insisted that the young widow and her child move into their guest house. Salvatore loved Laura like a daughter and raised her right alongside his own children. However, ever sent Laura had gotten married she had distanced herself from her family. She barely ever saw them anymore, except on holidays.

"I have some business in Queens later on this afternoon, maybe I'll drop by and ask her to come by the house sometime," Gio picked up the office phone and told his secretary to get him Matteo and Laura Ricci's home address. Gio was notorious for showing up somewhere unannounced, it was originally a tactic to catch people off their guard and unaware, but over the years it had developed into a habit.

"I've got to head out to New Jersey and then to check in on business at the warehouse, so I won't be going" Dante announced. Dante had been officially assigned to keep watch on Tiffany, he had a few from his own crew watching her around the clock. Tiffany was never not being watched.

"Fine," Gio said. "Vinny and I will go, we've got to keep tabs on the bookmakers out there anyway."

"Yeah those punks are sneaky little bastards," Dante replied.

Vincent was puffing away on a new cigarette and staring out of the floor to ceiling window that overlooked the busy streets of Manhattan. He didn't seem to be listening to his brothers talk and continued to gaze down at the hustle and bustle of everyday life in the city. Vincent was typically a reserved individual, he always kept his personal life a secret. He almost never bragged about his sex life to his brothers or friends, whereas Dante was more than happy to gloat about all of the girls he had at his disposal. Vincent kept every aspect about himself close to the vest.