XVI

(Picture of Giuliana)

Several Days Later

Giulia had been cleared the night of the car accident of a concussion by Dr. Bianchi, and today was the day of her appointment with her gynecologist. She was dreading having to go through with the appointment, but it was better to be safe than be caught off guard with a baby. Afterwards she was going to meet Isabella for lunch. It would be her first time out of the house since the car accident, and she was a bit nervous about being in a car again.

Gio had assigned her a driver until he could find out who had ran her off the road, he was keeping the incident quiet from Family matters. The only people who knew of what had happened other than Gio and Giulia were Vincent, Dante, Dr. Bianchi, and the men that had towed the wrecked car. It was easy to keep the whole matter quiet because the Graziano Family owned the towing company and other small businesses in addition to Graziano Enterprises. The Porsche that she had been driving was a lost cause. Gio had been on edge ever since the wreck had occurred and he refused to speak to his wife about it.

"I'm leaving," Giulia said as she popped her head into his home office.

He glanced up to where she stood and gave her a single nod of acknowledgment.

Giulia sighed and rolled her eyes before shutting the door behind her and heading to the awaiting car. She slid into the back seat and thanked her newly assigned driver. They drove in silence to the city, Giulia kept fidgeting in the backseat as she tried to distract herself from the impending examination.

Before they reached the doctor's office Giulia was checking her makeup in her compact mirror that she kept in her purse when she caught sight of a black SUV following behind them. She let out a yelp and turned to look out of the back window of the car. Her heart was racing, her hands felt clammy, and her breathing was labored. "Don't worry Mrs. Graziano," the driver tried to reassure her. "It's your security detail, the Boss wants you to have security with you wherever you go from now on."

"Oh okay," she tried to calm her shaking hands. "Thank you for telling me, my husband seemed to have forgotten." The driver gave her a small smile and nodded her head as they resumed their ride in silence.

Once they reached the doctor's office Giulia paused and turned to look at the driver, "You aren't coming in here with me are you?"

"No ma'am," he shook his head. "We have strict orders not to do go in there."

Giulia breathed a sigh of relief, thankfully Gio had mentioned that very important detail to her security team. "Okay, I shouldn't be long."

The entire appointment took about an hour and Giulia just about ran back to the car. The doctor had prescribed her birth control pills that she would be able to pick up the same day. The doctor confirmed that she was not pregnant and that she could go ahead and start taking her birth control. When she got in the car she instructed her driver that she had plans to meet her sister for lunch at a local café. She had told her family that she had been in a car accident, but she did not inform them that she had actually been run off the road. As far as she knew, Gio was still investigating it. 

The driver pulled up in front of the little picturesque café, where Isabella was already waiting at a table inside. Her driver stayed in the car, while the two other guards from her security detail followed her inside and took a seat at a table in the corner. 

"I'm so glad to see you! Are you okay?" Isabella jumped up and pulled her sister into a hug. "Papa told us that we should let you rest and not to badger you. Mama was halfway out the door when she heard."

Giulia smiled at the image of her petite mother running out of the house with her hair in curlers, yelling at the guards to bring a car around. 

"I'm fine," Giulia sat down. "At least it happened when I was almost home, Gio and his brothers came to get me. It wasn't that bad." She shrugged as she scanned the cafe's menu. Gio had told her that she should downplay what happened until he could find out who it was that had driven her off the road. She trusted that he knew what he was talking about so she went along with it. It's not like she really wanted to tell people that some psychopath had tailed her and then made her car flip over, so she just told her family that she hadn't been paying attention and ended up off the road and in the woods.