XXI

The car ride to Staten Island was filled with mostly idle chatter coming from Gio or Giulia.

Laura wasn't entirely comfortable with the Graziano men, considering that they both were set to take over as the head of the Family in the near future and were considered by many to be the most dangerous of all of the Made Men on the East Coast. But it was mostly due to her husband's commentary on the three brothers, which was mostly filled with his extreme dislike for them. Matteo was always talking badly about the Graziano Family's business dealings, and casting doubt on the newly forged alliance between the Bellucci's and Graziano's. Laura usually pretended to listen but she trusted that her Zio Salvatore knew what he was doing, far more than her own husband did. After all, Matteo's accomplishments were due in large part to his marriage to Laura and Zio Salvatore wanting her to have a husband that was respected. Prior to their marriage, Matteo was practically a nobody in the Bellucci Crime Family.

On the other hand, Vinnie was lost in his own thoughts the majority of the ride. He was not in his father's good graces at the moment, due to his refusal to consider a prospective bride from the mafia family in Philadelphia. His father didn't understand why Vinnie was reluctant to agree to the marriage, and Vinnie wasn't about to explain it to him which was why he had been avoiding his father for the better part of the last two weeks.

When the Escalade pulled into the driveway of the elder Graziano's mansion in Staten Island, Vinnie let out a sigh. He dreaded whenever he came to his parents house, his parents were constantly on his case to get married. He stepped out of the SUV, allowing for Laura to exit the vehicle as well, while Gio helped Giuliana out on his side.

Before they had even rung the doorbell, Philomena Graziano opened the door with a big smile on her face. "I'm so happy you could make it, we haven't had a family dinner in such a long time, and who is this?" She asked indicating Laura who stood at the back of the group.

"This is my cousin Laura," Giulia introduced. "She came to visit me today and I invited her to dinner. I hope that's okay."

"Of course it's okay," Philomena said. "The more the merrier!" The older woman pulled Laura in for a tight hug. "How are you dear?"

"I'm doing well."

When they all entered the home, Vinnie and Gio immediately set out in search of their father, who was most likely in his office awaiting their impending meeting. Philomena ushered the two girls into the kitchen, where she put the finishing touches on the chicken carbonara. "Laura it's a pleasure to officially meet you. I know we've seen each other in passing before the wedding but we've never had a chance to have a conversation, and I was supposed to attend your wedding several years ago but my mother passed," Philomena spoke.

"It's nice to meet you as well," Laura replied from her spot on the barstool next to Giuliana. "I completely understand about not being able to come to my wedding, sometimes things come up that you can't help."

"Yes that's true," Philomena said. "But you've been married several years now, how are things with your husband? I've heard that he's quite good looking!" Philomena winked causing both girls to laugh.

"He's fine, Matteo works quite a bit but that's just the way it is," Laura shrugged. "He's very dedicated to his job."

The older woman nodded her head in understanding. "And what about you Giuliana? How's married life for you?"

"It's going well," Giuliana couldn't help but smile. "Gio is a good husband."

"And what about grandchildren? Are there going to be any little Graziano's running around anytime soon?" Her mother-in-law's eyes shown with excitement at the thought of grandkids to spoil. Ever since her three sons had grown up and moved out, with the exception of Dante, Philomena dreamed of the day when her house would be filled with children again.