XXII

Several Days Later

Giovanni and Giuliana were on their way to Atlantic City to visit the casino, that could potentially become Giuliana's new project. She was nearly bursting with excitement, while Gio was glancing over at her occasionally with amusement. Giovanni had decided that he would drive himself and Giuliana to the casino in Atlantic City. It was rare that the two of them were ever alone during the day, there was always someone hovering in the background.

"I can't wait to get started," Giuliana said smiling at her husband. She was so happy that he had agreed to allow her to try her hand at interior design, especially since it involved one of the Family's businesses. She had to prove to him that she could do this.

"If it gets to be too much for you I can bring in a professional," he glanced over at her. Aside from helping to run a few charity functions in high school, Giuliana had never managed anything in her life.

"I'll be fine," Giuliana said with a firm nod.

When they pulled into the parking lot of the seaside casino, Giuliana looked up at the building in confusion. It certainly didn't look like any casino she had ever seen, of course the only casinos she had ever seen were on television. "This is it?"

"Yep," Giovanni pulled a key from the pocket of his suit pants. "It's unassuming, isn't it?"

"That's putting it mildly," Giuliana nodded in agreement.

Giovanni flipped the light switch on the wall, illuminating the two story casino in dim lighting. The carpet was a ugly geometric pattern and was absolutely filthy, it was covered in drink stains, smashed food, and other unidentifiable spots. All in all it was a depressing place, nothing like how a casino should be.

"How long has it been since this casino's been used?" Giulia asked as she wondered around the first floor of the building.

"Not for a few years," Gio responded. "Do you remember a few years ago, when I told you that we were working on opening up a hotel in Vegas? Well the deal fell through, the D'Amato Family backed out when the feds put too much heat on them. So we closed The Atlantic Quarter, all of our clients were set to follow us to Vegas. But it never happened and some clients stayed loyal to us, while others went elsewhere." He walked around observing what remained of the casino that was once a hot spot for the elite of the high rollers of the country.

"Where did your clients that left end up going then?" Giuliana asked as she jotted down notes of what needed to go in her notebook.

"Some come to an underground casino we have, some went to Chicago," Gio shrugged.

"Chicago? Like the Chicago Outfit?"

"Yeah, the Outfit was able to scoop up a couple of our big time clients. But hopefully you'll be able to reel them back in," he said with a wink.

"I hope so. What's up there?" she indicated the second floor.

"Just the offices, you don't need to worry about those. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah," she nodded and followed her husband back out and into the dark gray Range Rover that Giovanni typically used when he drove himself around.

"Just remember what I said, if gets to be too much for you just let me know. I can always call someone in to do it," Giovanni reminded her.

Giuliana rolled her eyes and let an exasperated sigh slip past her lips, "I know you already said that. I can handle it and if for some reason I can't then I'll tell you. You're making me more nervous."

He reached over and grasped her hand in his hand, keeping one hand on the steering wheel. "I don't mean to make you nervous, I just don't want you to get over worked. But I'll stop and just let you do your thing." Giovanni brought their joined hands to his lips and pressed a kiss to the top of her hand.