XXXVII

I updated my book cover, hope you all like it!

While Giuliana's whereabouts remained unknown to her family, Monica was still not allowed out of the Bellucci Mansion. She still hadn't gained her electronic devices back and her father was still furious with her. Any trust between her and Salvatore was gone, and she wasn't sure how she was going to get it back. Every time she asked her brothers how Giuliana was faring, they gave her vague responses that left her with more questions than answers. The only thing that kept her hopeful was that Giuliana didn't know about her one time friendship with Tiffany. When everything returned back to normal, Monica wasn't sure if Giovanni would allow her to even step foot on his property. He had been cordial the last time they had spoken, but that could've been in an effort to procure information out of her. Giovanni would not be a future Boss if he didn't have an arsenal of techniques at his disposal when it came to getting information out of people. His politeness could very well have been an act so she would talk more.

Her mother had attempted to smooth things over, but eventually she had decided to let things work themselves out. Donatella had been married to Salvatore long enough to know when to back off of a subject, and this was one of them. Even Isabella and Laura had put in a good word on Monica's behalf but had been answered with a hard stare and told to mind their own business.

At present Monica, Laura, and Isabella were gathered in the library, reading their various books. It was how they spent almost every evening, and allowed for a brief escape from the madness.

"Laura," Marco came into the library in search of his cousin.

Laura looked up at the sound of her name and bookmarked her novel. It was a romance novel, where the typical knight in shining armor came to save the damsel in distress. 'If only,' she had thought more than a few times. She hadn't seen Vinnie much since coming back home. The only time had been when she watched from an upstairs window, as he left the house and drove away. The only solace that she had was that Matteo had been barred from coming onto the property.

Marco nodded for her to follow him, "My father wants to speak to you for a moment."

Laura nodded and silently followed behind him. She was worried that she had worn out her welcome, her aunt and uncle loved her dearly but she was a married woman and meant to be at home with her husband. It was an obvious expectation that she would be with him and not taking up residence in her childhood bedroom. They both tiptoed around the question of her martial status but she had avoided giving a direct answer, and they had never pushed for one.

Marco held the office door open for her, inside her uncle sat behind his desk. He was alone which was a rare occurrence, usually her at least one of her male cousins lingered behind him. He only had private conversations when they were of the upmost importance.

"Close the door and leave," Salvatore ordered his son. Once the door had been firmly closed behind Laura he nodded towards one of the leather chairs in front of his desk, "Have a seat."

Despite being a grown woman, Laura still got nervous when her uncle wanted to have a serious conversation. He exuded power and strength, something that came with ease. Her husband Matteo was intimidating when he had his violent outbursts but the man before her didn't have to move a muscle to suck the air out the room.

When she took a seat he began, "You've been here for quite some time Laura."

'Oh God, here it comes, he's going to throw me out.'

"You won't take your husband's phone calls or respond to his messages." Salvatore leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, "I don't like to involve myself in my children's martial problems but you've left me no choice."