Competition and Eavesdropping

Although I love Dylan and Harry I really enjoy writing the characters around them more. :) Read Review Vote

After he dropped off the suitcases he made his way down the stairs. He heard his mum hollering for him but he saw Gemma walk past the staircase. “Gemma!” he shouted as he jumped down the rest of the stairs and ran to give her a massive hug.

“Harry! How are you? Mum said you brought a girl home?” she winked.

“It is not like that,” he tried to explain for the one hundredth time.

She rubbed his bare arms in a comforting manner, “Of course it’s not. Mum sent me that saucy photo. And I saw those photos of you and her in her room.”

His eyes bugged and he quickly whispered, “Mum hasn’t seen those right?”

“I try my best to hide what I can but you are pretty hard to rip off of every street corner shop in the town. Now come I want to meet this girl who you are not dating and plus, I am starving.” She grabbed his arm and walked them into the kitchen.

When he was able to fully smell the food he remembered, even more so, why he loved coming home. “Smells great mum!”

Gemma walked over to Dylan and gave her a hug and introduced herself. Anne walked over to the table, “Harry sit there, next to Dylan.” She pointed in the general direction of the seat and went back to serving the plates of food. When the plate hit the table in front of him he quickly dove his fork into the meal.

“This is amazing,”  Dylan had taken the words right out of his mouth. He simply nodded in agreement.

“Thank you. It is one of Harry’s favorite. I thought I would do something special for him coming home to me…even for a little while.” He could see her eyes getting a bit red.

“I love you mum” he smiled and stood to walk over and give her a hug. He sat back down and felt a hand on his leg. He nearly jumped when he realized it was Dylan’s. She gave a friendly smile and then the hand was gone. But the imprint it made was not. He cleared his throat and started talking, “Dylan here is a great cook as well mum. She made this amazing pasta months ago that I can still remember being delicious.”

“Now that is saying something,” Gemma chimed in. She continued, “He never puts anyone’s cooking up to par with our mums. You are held in very high regards.” All three of the girls laughed while Harry felt himself blush. Blush? Me? Ugh Dylan is ruining my image!

“Well how about we see how it compares? How about Dylan cooks dinner tomorrow night?” his mum asked.

“I am really not that good of a cook. I could never compare to this. You are an amazing cook.” Dylan tried to hide behind dabbing her napkin on her lips.

“Please? If Harry remembers a meal you cooked months ago then your cooking must be something.” His mum was giving Dylan the guilt trip. And no one could ever resist the guilt trip.

Dylan slouched and conceded, “Alright. You really leave me no choice.” His mum did a clap for joy and the subject quickly changed.

They began to catch up on the daily happenings. Gemma had moved in with her steady boyfriend and his mum had started dating again. Which he was glad about. They had sat there just talking for close to three hours. Finally his mum called for everyone to retire to their rooms. However before they could leave Anne had to ask a favor. “Oh Harry. Could you be a doll and go to the bakery tomorrow. We need bread for the week and get some pastries. Any sweets you would like.”

Not the bakery. “Mummmm” he nagged.

“What? You loved working there. Plus you can show Dylan what you did before you became a ‘sexy pop star’” she air quoted.

Dylan laughed and with a bright smile looked over at Harry, “I would really enjoy that actually.”

“You would agree.” He pointed between the two of them. Now it was his turn to slouch and conceded, “Fine mum. I know I will not win. We will go to get you bread.”

“And sweets,”  Dylan said extremely sweetly.

“And sweets,”  he repeated.

“Great! And whatever Dylan needs to cook tomorrow.” His mum smiled.

“Do you mind if I scan the kitchen to see what you have so I can make a list?” Dylan asked as her face began to turn red. She was shy about asking.

“Of course. Don’t be shy. What’s mine is yours. Including Harry.” She gave the cheekiest wink towards Dylan.

“MUM!” he shouted as he saw Dylan turn even more red. He liked when she blushed. She walked away and into the kitchen.

That left him and his mum and she gave a look of ‘out-with-it’. “Mum we are not dating.”

“So you always just kiss girls like that when you are not dating? I thought I taught you better.”

“What we have is complicated to make it simple.”

“Complicate it for me.” She now crossed her arms waiting for his response.

He knew he could never lie to his mother. He also knew he could never tell her the whole truth. So with a deep breath he began, “I met her and only wanted to have some fun. But then I realized I was in love with her. So I told her and she told me she got back together with her ex. They broke up and now she is back in the UK for a few months before she goes back to the US for good. So we kind of just kiss when we feel like it.”

Her face was a mix of emotions but one that was most apparent was happiness. “You love her? That is so cute. She seems like she has a great head on her shoulders. And really Harry? Just Kiss?” her eyebrow rose high questioningly and she knew before he said anything, “Oh Harold! Are you at least being safe? None of that funny business in this house.” She slapped him gently on the chest.

“Of course we are safe and trust me nothing will be happening. We have a few things we need to sort out. Could you send me that photo?” he asked.

She grabbed her phone from her pocket and with a few quick clicks his phone was buzzing in his pocket. “I hope you know what you are doing with her.”

“I don’t but I am learning. Thanks mum.” He half smiled and gave her a hug. She cupped his cheek and walked out of the room. As if on cue Dylan walked into the room. He wiped imaginary dust off his pants and looked up at her, “Long list?”

“Nope. I am sure I wont need anything other than some stuff I can easily get in the bakery.”

He dreaded going into that bakery. He knew who would be there and he didn’t want to see her.  But he knew he was going to have to. He changed the subject, “Ready for bed?”

“I actually need to call my folks. Let them know I am alive.” She smiled.

“Sure. Use the green room. There is more privacy there.” He pointed to the room off to the side.

“Thanks,” she grabbed her phone out of her pocket. She walked out to the green room and he bolted up the stairs to his bedroom and opened his window. He didn’t want to lie but he wanted to hear what she was going to tell her parents. Before the divorce, he would always listen to his parents talk about their days, or have a large argument thinking no one could hear them.

“Hey Jess.” That is not her parents.

snap! who is she talkin to?!?! Love? Hate? Tell me exactly what you think!! Leave a review.