Here's My Number, So Call Me, Maybe?

HERE'S MY NUMBER, SO CALL ME, MAYBE?

TILDE

I was struggling to carry the four big boxes in my arms while still managing to keep hold of my packet of ‘Cheez Doodles’ that I was half way through eating.

“I’ll give you a hand with those!” I turned my head and saw Elliot Steen running up the school driveway towards me.

Elliot Steen was a miniature Harry Styles with a curly mop of brown hair and big green eyes that were sure to break women’s hearts when he was older. He was the cutest kid ever and for some reason he had a major crush on me but since he was only fifteen, I was never going there although that didn’t stop him from trying!

I felt one of the boxes on the bottom of the pile slide out from under me and I tried to rebalance them.

“Elliot!” I poked my head round the side and screamed. “Not the bottom…” It was too late. The whole tower came crashing down, sending taco shells spilling all over the pavement.

“ELLIOT! You waz bag!”

“Sorry! I was trying to help.” He looked up at me, his adorable little face all sad. In a second my anger melted away. God that kid was too cute! Another couple of years and I’d….

“Tilde, why are there taco shells all over the pavement?” Emms appeared at my side, a look of worry on her face. Yup, she’d been my friend for too long, she was right to be worried; I’d spent our whole childhood life so far getting involved with things that usually spelt some kind of trouble. I thought I’d save the explanation for when Amy arrived so I employed one of my diversionary tactics. “Look Emms, Elliot is here!”

“I know Tilde, I can see him. Hi Elliot.”

“Hey!” he beamed, the cutest little dimples forming in his cheeks.

Emms continued. “So why are there tac…oh!” I thrust one of the boxes into her arms to shut her up and loaded another one on top so it covered her mouth. “I’ll explain in a bit, take those into the main hall and I’ll be there in a sec.” I turned her round, gave her a little push and she waddled off in a zig zag towards the main school doors. When I turned back around, Elliot was gazing lovingly up at me.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

There was an awkward pause while I stuffed a hand full of ‘Cheez Doodles in my mouth. “Don’t you have somewhere to be Elliot?”

“Yup.” He stayed rooted to the spot. “I was just thinking.” He looked all coy and bit his bottom lip.

“Uh huh?”

“Well…I was wondering… if you’d like to…” He swayed from side to side until his arms started to swing by his sides like a pendulum.

“Holy bat frogs Elliot! At this rate I’m going to spend the rest of my frickin' life having this conversation. Say it, please. Neither of us are getting any younger!”

“Well..I was…I like your hat.” He looked down at his feet and blushed.

“Seriously? That’s what you wanted to say to me?”

“Well, no…I was…”

“Hey Tilly!” Suddenly, I felt two big, strong arms wrap around my waist, squeezing me hard and I let out a yelp. It was Jacob. “Hey squirt!” He ruffled Elliot’s hair and Elliot ducked away and pulled a face. “Why are there tacos all over the pavement?”

To avoid having to give an answer, I stuck a load of ‘Cheez Doodles’ in my mouth, chewed them for a second then opened my mouth and stuck my tongue out at Jacob.