Scar Tissue

SCAR TISSUE

ANNA

I heard the toilet door open and quickly put my legs up onto the basin so it would look like the cubicle I was hiding in was empty. Luckily there was one cubicle that was positioned around a corner so that if you were standing by the mirrors, it wasn’t noticeable that the door was locked.

I recognised the voices; it was Lizzie and her mates. I stayed as still and quiet as I could, my head down, wishing myself invisible.

“Oh my God! They’re releasing more go1Den tickets! It’s just been announced on the 1D website, look!”

There were squeals of delight. I heard Lizzie’s voice over the commotion. “Give me your phone.”

There was a pause then I heard Lizzie again reading aloud in an excited voice. “Good news for 1D Aussie fans! In addition to the singing contest, there is now another way to get your hands on a Go1Den ticket. We have hidden winning tickets inside specially marked copies of the new album, ‘Take Me Home’ so get down to your local Woolworths store and pick up your copy today. Good luck Directioners!”

More squealing ensued as they discussed how they were going to get to the store before anyone else after school was out. I recognised the high pitched squeak of Katie James. “No way! Now we’ve got two ways of getting a Go1Den ticket, our song video entries and the CDs!”

You don’t,” Lizzie piped up. “Your singing is crap. You’d best buy as many CDs as you can cuz that’s the only chance you have of getting your hands on a Go1Den ticket.”

I carefully tried to re-adjust my position on the toilet basin so I could look at my watch, I was due to see Mr Alvey at 3.15 to record my song entry and I reckoned it was about that time now. As I moved my arm, my i pod crashed loudly onto the floor and within seconds, four heads appeared over either side of the cubicle.

“Why are you hiding in the toilet, you little freak? Are you scared?”

I looked up at Gemma Collins and I guess at that moment I had to agree I must have looked pretty pathetic, crouching on a toilet, my arms hugging my knees tightly.

Two of the heads disappeared and after a few seconds, I could hear running water. I panicked and tried to get up to unbolt the lock on my toilet door but my school bag was tangled around it and it wouldn’t budge.

It was too late, the two heads popped back up again and as I put my arms up to protect myself, I felt the ‘splat’ of big wadges of soaking wet toilet paper raining down on me.

I somehow managed to untangle my bag from the bolt and got the door open but as I stepped out of the cubicle, Lizzie was standing there looking like she was going to murder me. I tried to stand my ground and turned to her, looking as confident as I could. “Rack off!”

You rack off! You ugly little Goth freak. Haven’t you wasted away yet, you bony frickin’ weirdo?…Shame.” She punched me hard in the stomach and I raced towards the door and out into the corridor, doubled over, trying desperately to catch my breath.

I could hear the cackles of laughter coming from inside the toilets as I ran towards the staircase and it was only when I got to the base of the stairs that I realised my i pod was still in there on the toilet floor. “No! Anna!” I shouted at myself in total frustration. That i pod was my only escape in school and now it was gone. There was no way I could afford to buy another one.

I looked at my watch, 3.39. I was so late!

As I dragged myself up the stairs to the music block, Cody Willis, one of the cool boys, passed me on his way down. “Hey freak, is it snowing?” He went to trip me up but I managed to grab hold of the bannister and steady myself. Oh God! My hair!