Tantrums And Tiaras

TANTRUMS ANS TIARAS

Mackenzie

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, was contestant number 20, Mackenzie Morgan from right here in sunny L.A! I think you'll agree she looked stunning in her black strapless 'Gucci' dress. And so that concludes our 'Evening wear' section. We will now be moving on to the 'Talent section' of this exciting 'Bring Me To 1D' beauty pageant grand final. That Go1Den ticket is almost within reach for one of our lucky finalists tonight!"

I gave the audience one final dazzling smile, showing off my newly bleached white teeth, swished my dress and exited the stage into the wings where Angelina and Leah were waiting with my next outfit.

Angelina started to undo my dress and Leah offered me a bottle of water like I was in a boxing ring and she was my trainer. "Great job Kenzie! You looked stunning out there."

"Well that's the whole point isn't it? I managed to get a good look at the panel. The head judge, Harry Webber, the one we want is in the middle. He's fat, looks a bit like Shrek." I glugged some water and kicked off my ridiculously high Jimmy Choo heels.

Leah managed to dodge my flying shoe just in time. "We've checked out the competition Kenz, most of them aren't in with a hope in hell's chance of winning. How bad was number 7 Ang? She looked like she'd been hit in the face with a frying pan."

They both started to laugh uncontrollably but stopped as soon as they noticed the look of irritation on my face..

"Did you see contestant number 19 though Kenz? The one that was on before you? Her name is Darcy Sweetlove and apparently there's a rumour going around that she's the favourite to win it."

I scanned the room until I clocked Darcy Sweetlove. She was with an older woman and man who I presumed were her Mum and Dad. I screwed up my face at the sight of her there with her loving, supportive family. "How perfect," I spat. But I had noticed her and as I watched her getting changed I felt a sudden pang of worry, she was tall and elegant with long, gleaming chestnut hair and a figure to die for. Her dress was the most elegant I'd seen at a pageant before, pure silk with a long train at the back in a stunning shade of Emerald. She was really beautiful. My plan had to work.

"Yeah, she's hot," nodded Leah, gazing gormlessly over at the half naked Darcy.

I snatched my long black boots out of Leah's hands and glared at her. "She has a stupid name and a stupid face and you only think she's hot because you're a raging lesbian. Help me on with these boots; you should have packed talcum powder."

I pulled on my pink latex mini skirt and tight sequinned top and checked myself in the mirror, touching up my make-up.

Once I was done, I handed my backing track CD to Leah. As I did, I caught Angelina giving her a worried look. "What?" I snapped. They both looked at each other, then Angelina nervously cleared her throat.

"Um...We were thinking...maybe it would be better if you did the dance routine rather than the song Kenz."

"Why?"

"Well, we just thought..."

But before she could finish, she was drowned out by the stage manager's voice over the tannoy.

"Would all contestants come up to the stage, hand your backing tracks in to the sound booth and line up in order of number for the talent section."

Angelina draped a robe over my shoulders to keep me warm as we made our way back up to the stage. I thrust my backing CD angrily in her hands and she scuttled off to hand it in. Why didn't they want me to sing?

We watched from the side of the stage as the one by one the girl's went on and performed. "Can we please have contestant number 19, Darcy Sweetlove? Darcy will be singing Christina Perri's 'Jar of hearts'.

I watched as she floated gracefully onto the stage and picked up the microphone. Peeking through a gap in the curtains at the audience and the panel, I could see the smiles on the faces of the judges as she started to sing. This girl was good, too good and she was stunning. But she didn't have a secret weapon like I had, plus, they hadn't heard me sing yet.

As the song finished, I pulled the robe off my shoulders and dumped it into Angelina's waiting arms."You look amazing Kenz,"

"I know," I said, adjusting my top.

"And now our final contestant, number 20, Mackenzie Morgan singing 'Firework' by Katy Perry.

I drew in a deep breath, fixed a winning smile across my face and took to the stage. As the first few chords struck up, I lifted the microphone out of its cradle and started to sing, getting ready to do my pre-rehearsed moves as the chorus kicked in.

"Baybee yor uh faaaaaaayyyyyer wuuurk....

Come on letchor cuuuuuuuluuurs buuuurst....."

When I'd finished, I smiled and bowed theatrically as I waited for the applause. There was a small ripple of claps but it didn't seem anywhere near as loud as Darcy had received for her song. I continued to smile widely through gritted teeth as I walked off the stage. As I did, I looked into the audience and noticed several people leaning over and whispering so I checked my outfit in case I'd had a wardrobe malfunction or something.

"Ok, um...That was contestant number 20, Mackenzie Morgan with..... An interesting interpretation of 'Firework' by Katie Perry. And that concludes all the sections for tonight's grand final. There will now be a performance by the world famous 'Cirque du Soleil' while the judges retire to deliberate and choose their 'Bring Me To 1D' USA Beauty Pageant winner!"

Leah and Angelina were clapping like demented sea lions as I strode off stage. I could feel my anger levels rising. Why hadn't the audience liked my song as much as Darcy's? I had to focus on winning, I couldn't let this slip away from me.

"Shut up," I snapped. "We haven't got much time. The judges are having a 10 minute break before they come together to discuss who they're going to choose as the winner." We huddled together and I lowered my voice to a whisper as I went through the plan again. "So, they'll be in their dressing rooms right now. I'm going to head down to Harry Webber's dressing room and have a little word in his ear. You need to stay on look out and check the coast is clear for me. I can't be seen talking to the any of the judges; it'll look suspect so you need to be on guard, Ok?"

They stared at me wide eyed, nodding but not making a move. "GO!" I yelled and they jumped and sprang into action, down the stairs to where the dressing rooms were.

I checked the name badges on all the doors I passed as I made my way swiftly down the long corridor, stopping when I got to the one I was searching for. I looked up at the large white sign which had on it in big, bold type,

'MR HAROLD WEBBER - HEAD JUDGE'.

30,000 VOTES FOR A LUVVERLY PIC OF JOSH!!