Resident Evil

RESIDENT EVIL

Mackenzie

"Daniel!" I exclaimed, putting my hands up to chest in an attempt to push him away, hoping he would acknowledge my anger and back off. Instead, he took hold of both of my small hands in one of his and thrust me backwards against the fridge. The force of the shelves hitting me hard in the back, winded me and I let out a small gasp.

A wicked smile spread across Daniel's face and he leaned in close until I could smell the alcohol on his breath. "Hey Sisss," he hissed, "Not expecting me back so soon?"

My heartbeat quickened and I started to panic. "Y..you're hurting me." I tried to sound like he wasn't affecting me but under his intense stare, I couldn't.

"Aw, poor little sis. Are you going to tell Daddy?" He looked around the room quickly then tightened his grip. "Oh wait, you can't cos he ain't here for his little princess any more is he?"

He thrust my hands, still locked in his, upwards above my head and moved his face in close to mine, brushing his lips against my cheek and sending a cold chill down my bruised spine.

Suddenly, from down the hallway, I could hear the clatter of heels on the hard floor and in an instant, Daniel released his grip and went about fixing himself a drink, cheerfully humming to himself as if nothing had happened.

By the time, my step mother arrived in the kitchen, I'd managed to find a dustpan and brush and had swept up most of the glass and contents of the pickle jar, emptying it into the bin. All that remained was a small puddle of vinegar so I went quickly over to the sink to get a cloth. The clacking of heels became louder in my ears and I realised she was coming over to where I was. I closed my eyes and wished myself the hell out of there.

"Hi darling!" she gushed as she held out her arms to Daniel and kissed him lovingly on both cheeks. "Did you have a great time in Europe?"

"Amazing Mom, good to be back though."

As I turned away from the sink, my step mother was looking straight at the pool of liquid on the floor, an amused expression on her heavily botoxed face. "What's this?' She asked, a low raspy laugh coming from her throat. "Did my step daughter have an accident and wet herself?"

I summoned all the confidence I could and faced her, "I spilt a jar of pickles ok? You're the one that's more likely to be incontinent, considering your age an all."

I felt a sharp pain as her bony hand slapped me hard across the face. I stood there for a second in an act of defiance, refusing to react to the pain. I muttered "Bitch," under my breath and strode out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Once I got to the top, I broke into a run all the way to my bedroom where I slammed the door shut behind me. I leant back against the door and put my hand up against my cheek which was hot to the touch and stinging.

After I was sure I'd composed myself enough, I sat on my white dressing table chair and dialled my Dad's number in New York. "Please let him be there," I whispered as I listened to the ringing tone.

"Hello?" I felt all the tension and fear flood out of me the second I heard my Dad's voice.

"Dad? Hey, it's me."

"Hey Princess!" He piped up cheerily. "Everything ok?"

I wanted to yell down the phone, "No! Everything is not ok Dad! You abandoned me and left me to the mercy of this evil witch and her sadistic son! You need to get home right now and protect your daughter!" But I didn't. I took a big, deep breath and built my hard shell back around me like a fortress. "I'm cool Dad. Listen, I need to ask you a favour. I'm through to the final of the 'Bring Me To 1D' beauty pageant and I need to win it."

"Aw, I'm sure you'll win it sweetie, you're..."

"No Dad," I interrupted. "I need to make damn sure I win it. And I need your help."

I could feel my strength returning with every second I was away from my step mother and Daniel. "The name of the head judge on the pageant panel is Harry Webber. I need you to get one of your private detectives to delve around in his private and his past life until he can dig up something bad, something that he wouldn't want to come out at all costs and let me know when he's done it. Ok?"

I knew my Dad would do it. He'd do anything I wanted because he felt guilty about leaving me to go to New York and not being there for me anymore.

"Ok sweetie, if that's what you want, I'll get Malcolm on the case." He paused. "But you know really you shouldn't be resorting to underhand..."

"Dad, just do it." I said coldly.

"Consider it done," he replied. "Anything else you need honey?"

I gripped the phone hard. It took all my energy to hold in what I was desperate to let out. I took a deep breath. "No. When are you coming home again Dad?" Suddenly I felt the prick of tears in my eyes and I looked up at the ceiling, desperately fighting them back.

"Uh, not sure sweetie, hopefully before Christmas but it's a bit busy here at the moment."

"Ok Dad, speak to you soon. Love you. Bye," I spoke quickly and put the phone down as soon as I could so he wouldn't hear the shaking in my voice.

I ran over to my bed and buried myself in my cushions, pressing them hard against my face and digging my long manicured nails into my skin to distract me from feeling emotion. I leaned over and switched off the bedside lamp.

"I miss you Dad," I whispered quietly in the dark.

Suddenly, I began to hear footsteps coming down the long corridor towards my room. All my senses grew sharp and I sat bolt upright in my bed, hugging one of my cushions tightly. I stayed totally still, hardly breathing, willing the slow padding of feet to stop or turn off into another room, but they didn't and I watched in fear as two dark shadows appeared under the bottom of my door and stopped there.

I froze and held my breath as I watched the handle of my door slowly turn and in a second, I threw myself down onto the pillow, pulled the covers over me and pretended to be asleep, hoping it would make him go away.

But it didn't. Seconds later I heard the door creak open and the soft pad of his feet nearing my bed. I felt the cover being slowly pulled back and I sat up quickly against the head board, hugging my knees to my chest in defence. My eyes were wide with fear.

"Hey, little princess," he whispered, lowering himself down onto the bed and swaying slightly. He'd been drinking, I could smell the alcohol fumes straight away. "Did you miss me?" His voice made me feel queasy. I gathered up all my courage.

"Go away Daniel. Please. Leave me alone, you've been drinking."

"Oooh!" he mocked. "You've turned a bit feisty since I've been away." He went to grab my arm but his reactions were slow and I managed to pull it away in time. I rolled across the bed and tried to make a run for the door but he lurched over and wrapped his arms around my waist, hauling me roughly back onto the bed and landing with his whole weight on top of me. The more I struggled against him, the more he laughed. The smell of whiskey caught in my throat and I suddenly felt like I was going to vomit.

"No Daniel! I'm going to tell..."

"Who?" he slurred. "Who are you going to tell? Mommy?" He leaned in until his face was inches from mine, I turned my head to one side. "Mommy won't believe you princess and Daddy doesn't care about you anymore. It's just you and me."

He lay on top of me and pinned my arms above my head, squeezing my wrists so hard that I could feel the circulation to my hands being cut off. "Don't do this Daniel, please."

But it was no use. As he began to unzip my pants and roughly pull them down, scratching me with his stubble as he planted rough, drunken kisses all over my neck. I tensed every muscle in my whole body and tried to transport myself far, far away.

In my head, I was walking up the red carpet with Harry Styles. There were thousands of flashes going off around us as everyone tried to get a picture of the hottest celebrity couple of the moment. Harry was smiling at me and whispering in my ear "You look beautiful tonight, Kenzie." Then he kissed me softly on the lips.

VOTE...VOTE...VOTE!!!