Just Good Friends

JUST GOOD FRIENDS

BETH

"Keep still," I giggled as Louis tried to scratch an itch, while struggling to hold his surf board in place.

He pouted. "Can't believe we've been here nearly three weeks. Only three days left to finish your masterpiece Bethy Boo. What are you going to call it?"

I thought for a second. "Um..Sexy boy on beach?... or something like that." When I looked up, he was grinning from ear to ear and it made me feel all warm inside. We'd got so close over the last week. Ever since Kenzie had told everyone about the baby, I'd made a decision to block Harry out of my life completely. I hadn't spoken to him, I couldn't even look him in eye. I'd spent all my time with Louis and I'd started to get little butterflies in my stomach whenever I was near him.

I looked at my canvas, studying his handsome features which I'd come to know so well in the three weeks I'd been painting him. I'd spent so long looking at his gorgeous sea green eyes that had a hint of blue in a certain light, his perfect skin, strong, chiselled jaw and his amazing smile which lit up the room and made me feel happy inside. He always managed to make me feel better. He had the ability to make me forget for a few seconds, the horrible ache I was feeling inside whenever my thoughts accidentally turned to Harry.

I glanced briefly over towards the house. Mackenzie was lying on one of the loungers, talking in an animated way to Harry who was staring out to sea, looking glum. My heart went heavy and for a moment, I felt sorry for him. His eyes were sad and glazed over, his shoulders were slumped forwards like he had the weight of the world on them. I made myself look away, determined not to spend any more time thinking about him but I found myself looking back at him again. Why couldn't I get rid of these feelings? For the millionth time over the last week, I wished that first kiss had never happened. If I had never stepped inside that closet in New York, if I'd have found another hiding place, my head wouldn't be such a mess right now.

"BETH!" I was pulled suddenly from my thoughts by Louis. "Will you be done with the detailing on the surfboard soon? Only my arm is starting to go numb again."

"Oh gosh, sorry. Yes." I looked up and a cheeky grin spread across my face. "Actually, I was finished with the surfboard touchups about half an hour ago."

"Oh my God! Are you serious? I've been standing there holding it all this..."

Suddenly, he dropped the board in the sand and started to run towards me. I screamed and ran as fast as I could but felt myself being scooped up and flung over his muscular shoulder. He ran towards the sea, with me thrashing my legs around and yelling between giggles. I tried to catch my breath as I saw the sea looming closer. "PUT ME DOWN! I'M SORRY!....I'M SORRY!" We stopped and suddenly I was dangling upside down, my head inches from the water. I squealed loudly. Just as my face was about to touch the waves, he flipped me up and caught me in both arms. I threw mine around his neck, looked at him in shock and we both burst out laughing. "Oh my goodness! I thought you were going to dunk me!"

"It was tempting," he grinned, carrying me back to the veranda.

As we climbed the steps, my arms still firmly around Louis neck, I threw my head back, still laughing and a bit giddy from being upside down. As I did, my eyes fell directly in line with Harry's. The way, he was looking at me, startled me. His eyes were filled with anger and... jealousy? Suddenly, I felt bad for cavorting round the beach with Louis and I lifted my head up, signalling for Louis to put me down, which he did. I straightened up my clothes and looked down at the floor timidly, still shocked by Harry's reaction. Then suddenly, I felt my anger rise. How dare he look at me like that! Like I've done something wrong. Who was he to disapprove of me having fun with another boy? I shot him a scathing look just as Tilly looked up from her pile of sandwiches.