One Way Or Another

ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

ANNA

I looked around at the three devastated faces beside me. The British girl Beth had tears in her eyes. I was pretty used to disappointment but after experiencing the most amazing moment of my life, finding the Go1Den ticket, I couldn't believe that life could be so cruel as to snatch my biggest dream away from me like this.

Beth was desperately trying not to cry, she looked up at Ed, her eyes pleading with him. "Can't they postpone the gig? Just for a couple of days until the hurricane is over?"

Ed looked like a broken man, he couldn't look any of us in the eye. He stood there staring at the floor, unable to speak.

"Ed!" Tilde piped up, making us all jump. "Talk to us Ed!"

The woman with the clipboard, noticing that her colleague was possibly about to have a mental breakdown, stepped in. "It's not that simple I'm afraid girls, we can't just reschedule for a few days time, Madison Square Garden' is a busy venue, they have Lionel Richie performing there tomorrow and Barry Manilow is on for the following three nights."

"But Barry Manilow is like a hundred years old!" Beth's bottom lip was starting to wobble, she was so pretty even when she was crying. I felt bad for her.

"So what happens now?" Mackenzie barked. "I mean how are you going to compensate us for coming all the way to New York and not seeing One Direction? Because I'm warning you now, you had better compensate us."

Ed started to say something and we all leaned in closer. He scratched his head, causing has hair to stick up comically. "I..."

Tilde raised her hands in the air in desperation "ED!" It startled him and he looked like rabbit caught in headlights. "Ed, you need to get with the programme, you've got four girls here who's lives have just been completely ruined!"

She strode over to him, linked her arm in his and dragged him away from us into a quiet corner of the airport. We all watched in awe as she gave him what looked like the mother of all lectures, waving her arms about manically, Ed nodding solemnly in response.

When he came back, he was like a different man. He pulled himself up to his full height again, smoothed his hair down and cleared his throat. "Girl's, I understand that you are disappointed..."

"Disappointed?" Mackenzie cut in. "I'M LIVID!"

Tilde raised her hand. "Cool it sister, just hear the man out ok?" Mackenzie shot her daggers. I got the feeling she wasn't used to being spoken back to like that.

Ed took a deep breath and continued. "...And although it's not going to be possible for you to see One Direction tonight, we at the 'Bring me to 1D Go1Den ticket winners' committee are determined to make your trip here in New York as memorable as possible. We...um..."

He started to run out of steam and looked to Tilde who gestured for him to keep going.

"Yes! That's right girls. We are going to take you by luxury limousine, to your 5 star hotel where we will offer you two of our best executive rooms. In addition to this, we can offer you complimentary use of the hotel's first class spa facilities and a meal cooked by the resident Michelin star rated chef, Anton De Berk. This ladies I'm sure you'll agree, is an amazing prize in itself!

"YAY!" Tilde cut in before anyone could react. "How good is that gonna be? Eh girls?"

She looked at each of us in turn, I still had my mouth open in shock, Beth was wiping her eyes with a tissue and Mackenzie looked like she was about to punch Tilde in the face. Tilde must have noticed we weren't exactly sharing her excitement so she changed her tact slightly.