chapter eighteen

WEDDING DAY

WEDDING DAY

"Well, there's our blushing bride," I say, upon entering the bedroom suite India is getting ready in. "Kiki!" She turns around on her chair, interrupting the makeup artist from doing her brows. She smiles at me brightly, her auburn hair have curlers in them, and her brown eyes shine brightly with excitement. She's wearing a silk white robe with matching slippers; and of course, she has mimosa in her hand, "how are you doing?"

"Not as great as you." India brushes me off, gesturing for me to sit, "I see, all your bridesmaids are looking beautiful." I comment. All four of them look ravishing in their ivory coloured dresses, faces beat, and hair slayed. India had me set up too.

Forty minutes of prep, the hair stylist did my hair up in a fancy up do and left stray curls around my face. The makeup artist painted my face like I was a canvas with pink hues around my eyes, light foundation, and a nude lip. I didn't know I could look like this. I slipped into the ivory dress with a sweetheart neckline, and a slit at the front. It hugs my body perfectly and emphasizes my curves with the cinched waist. "You ready for your big day?"

She takes a sip from her mimosa, her fingers gripping the stem tightly, "honestly? I'm a bit nervous."

"Nah, don't be. The ceremony is gonna be great and everything will run smoothly, promise." I see India release a shaky breath but the crinkles on her forehead let me know that she's not completely relaxed. "Lemme let you get ready then, wait what happened to your greened eyed friend?" I ask her noticing her absence from the moment we started getting ready.

"Oh, that bitch?" India says so casually, I rear my head back. "I sent her packing." My eyes widen in surprise, "what why?" India opens one eye, before closing it again as her eye shadow is being done, "no one calls my cousin a fat and a bitch and gets away with it. I sure as well wasn't gonna allow someone's envy to ruin my wedding day."

"Envy?"

India's engagement ring glints under the rays of sunlight streaming through the open blinds, "oh, yeah. In college. Daya always used to compare herself to girls who were curvier than her, girls like you. Thought if she had it, guys wouldn't overlook her. But instead of appreciating what she had, it poisoned her from the inside out and fucking hates women who aren't the same body type as her."

Oh.

"Plus, she lost her man because he told her she was too skinny."

"Ouch."

India shrugs, "yeah, well. As much as I do feel bad for her, she didn't not have to say shit about you like that especially to Devontae."

That catches my attention, "she did what?" India opens her eyes now as the makeup artist begins to do her lips, "I overheard them, he came in guns blazing, telling her shit about what she said about you. Real knight in armour shit. That's how I found about what she did."