chapter forty five

Three weeks

Three weeks. Three fucking weeks and people are still coming or my neck, if they aren't trying to dig up my past, there's people following me around, or there's people targeting my friends and interrogating them, and I've had it. Devontae is trying so hard to keep his shit together, but I can tell he's struggling, I once caught him yelling on the phone with one of his publicists, somewhere along the lines, "if you don't fucking do your job, I'll drop your ass and replace you as fast as you can blink."

Yikes.

It's affecting him too, although he won't say it to me, I know, I can tell. He's trying to put on a brave face for me. I catch him staring into space a lot, like he's at conflict within himself. I can see the gears churning in his head, and if only I could get into his head and know what he's thinking.

It's just been silent between the both of us, which isn't usually isn't us because it's either we're dissing each other, talking about life in general or he's listening to me spill some tea but it's total silence, and it has me worried and nervous. I'm sitting right next to him, but he doesn't even seem like he's even here.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I turn my attention to him, away from the book I'm currently reading. I have my feet in his lap, and he's focus is on the television. He doesn't answer me immediately, too consumed by his thoughts. His ring adorned fingers, gently run up and down my feet which are always frozen, but his body temperature is always warmer than me.

"Huh? Sorry, what did you ask me?"

"You, okay? You kinda look far away, like in your thoughts."

"No, yeah, yeah. I'm straight, don't worry about me." He shakes his head, and he tries to smile at me but it's not genuine. I can tell, when he's smiling like when he's really smiling; his eyes crinkle at the corners and his dimples deepen when he grins then when it's not sincere, he gives me a toothless grin and it doesn't reach his eyes if you know what mean.

"You wanna take a bath with me? I'll put in some bath salts, put on some music, light a couple candles, you know romantic shit."

His brows raise at me in surprise, "oh, romantic shit huh?"

"Yeah, let's go." I encourage, setting my book down on the rest of the piles of books that I've got, the heap keeps getting larger as time passes because of my purchasing habits. I get up and he does the same and I see his eyes wander to the book hazard on this tiny little desk, "you don't have somewhere to put all this stuff?"

"Nope. My room is kinda big, but I got so much stuff in here that it leaves no space for other pieces of furniture."

"Uh, huh." Is all I hear him say from behind me when I pull my tank top off and chuck it into the laundry basket, I turn on the water, letting the water fill up the bathtub as I strip my yoga pants off my legs, soon enough Devontae pulls his shirt off and his sweats too. I light the vanilla scented candles, throwing in a mixture of bath salts and sit on the edge spreading them around with my fingers.