chapter eight

Playoffs are a week away and I'm fucking ecstatic that the team got their shit together even though they're still on thin ice with me as well as Coach

Playoffs are a week away and I'm fucking ecstatic that the team got their shit together even though they're still on thin ice with me as well as Coach. "After completing your last round of laps, I need y'all to huddle up, we got something to discuss." This can't be good. In my case, often, surprises aren't good.

After doing our laps, we surround coach in a semi-circle, sweat dripping down our faces and torsos. I wipe my face with the shirt hanging on my shoulder as we wait for Coach Jackson to speak. "I'm sure you guys are familiar Dominic Dominguez?" Coach Jackson asks and the players nod their heads while Luke, Jay, T', Roman, and I look at each other.

"I was just told that he had recently transferred from NYU to UCLA."

That's why I hates surprises.

The person Coach Jackson is referring to is a former USC student and my ex-best friend.

He and I met their first year of college when we found out we were going to be roommates and we were close since that day. We joined at the hip because we did everything together and went everywhere with one another. Everyone referred to us as Mr & Mrs, we were that close.

To this day, I still blame myself. How couldn't I have seen the signs? Jocelyn was naturally flirtatious which was why I didn't think much about it however there was much more going on than I thought. Walking in on your significant other and your best friend having sex has got to be the most fucked up way to find out that the two people who you trusted the most could fuck up so bad.

The image of Dom pounding into her, and the echo of Jocelyn's moans always come back and haunt me when I least expect it. Hence why I stuck to no strings attached purely sexual relationships rather than an emotional one.

The whole ordeal had me fucked for a full year straight. I couldn't focus on anything, ball, and school. That had to be the biggest betrayal of my life that I ever had to experience.

Coach had to take the most drastic but necessary decision and suspend me when I couldn't get my shit together. For six months, I spent on the bench watching my teammates play. Watching Dom play.

To add insult to injury, Jocelyn would come to every single home game in support of her new 'boyfriend'.

My downward spiral nearly made me lose my spot on the team, my position as captain as well as the chance of getting drafted. I beat myself up about how I could've let everything that happened to the point where I was gonna lose something I wanted since I was eight years old.

Hooking up made everything easier, not emotional attachment no commitment. Dom soon transferred for 'better opportunities' and Jocelyn dropped out of college to take a gap year. When they left, I thought it would be the last I would ever see or hear of them, but I guess not.

Now with Dominic coming back to California that means I will be seeing more of him. "Dominic is reckless and unruly but he's a damn talented player and now he's captain at UCLA -" of course, "They won't hesitate to chew us up and spit us out like we're nothing and as long as I'm around I won't let that happen."