chapter fifty four

"

"

Devontae been texting me continuously even though I haven't responded to either of them, he drove down to the pier and at every sunset and sundown by the beach, he'd take a picture and send them to me. It might mean nothing to anybody else but the fact he's doing that every single day without fail, makes my heart swell.

He also bought me a wine fridge, technically it's a rose fridge because rosé is almost the only thing, I drink other than matcha and tequila. He knows how much I love my rosé and I kinda plugged him onto the best ones that he can suggest to his mom since she's also a rosé connoisseur. My doorbell ringed and when I went to answer it, I found a box wrapped perfectly in baby blue wrapping paper. It had my name on it and I could tell from the handwritten alone who it was from.

I also once mentioned to him one day I wish I could be as beautiful as the ocean, chaotic yet serene. He's been sending the pictures for the past week or so and today's picture made me well up with tears, after the picture he texted 'not even the ocean can be compared to your beauty'.

I told him to swing by the apartment today, but it won't be for what he thinks, I'm giving back his stuff. I can't do with this back and forth. It's confusing me and hurting me even further, he's the one who broke up with me now suddenly he's doing all these sweet, thoughtful things in the hopes of going back to what we were?

All I ever wanted was for him to tell me the truth and he wasn't even able to do that yet.

There's a knock at the door and I take deep breaths before opening it, to reveal the person who's been plaguing my thoughts, Devontae stands to his full height of 6'4 and he's dressed in full black, his been growing his hair out as compared to his normal close shaven cut. He's also growing out a moustache which I never thought was attractive but seeing him with it has me questioning whether I was wrong or it's just him who can pull it off.

"Hey," he greets me with a smile.

"Hi." I say, "come in."

He walks into the apartment, looking around. My face heats at the realisation that the roses are still scattered around the apartment, I thought about giving them to random strangers, but I could get myself to do it, because if I were to be honest, the roses made me feel...wanted but I must do this.

In a box, are Devontae's belongings; socks, shirts, hoodies, and every other thing he's left here. I pick it up and turn around to hand it to him, "here's your stuff." The previous joy he possessed before visibly leaves his face, his smile drops too, "what?"

"Your stuff. Oh, I almost forgot." His brows furrow at me as I reach behind me, unclipping the necklace and placing them on top of the content of the boxes. He watches me as I drop it in there before meeting my eyes, "you're serious?"

"As a heart attack." The look on his face makes me feel like I just ran over a puppy.

"I thought that you texted me under a different circumstance not for this." He gestures to the box in his hands now, I fold my arms over my chest, "what? You really thought – Devontae, let us remember that you broke up with me, three weeks ago then suddenly you start sending me all these thoughtful gifts in exchange for me taking you back?" I huff a breath, "as much I loved all these stuffs you have given to me, it's confusing and frustrating. I don't know where I stand with you anymore and its unfair for you to play with my emotions like a yo-yo. You're the one who made that choice, I'm just helping you finalise it."

"Kiana, I –"

"Save it. I know what you said to me that day wasn't true, but it didn't mean it didn't hurt any less. I would've expected it from anybody else not from you."

"Please, give a minute to explain –"

"I gave you a chance to explain to explain that day, remember? You chose to forego that opportunity."

"I thought I was making the right choice! I couldn't sit there by the side-lines watching people post such bullshit online about you!"

"I couldn't give two flying fucks what they were saying! The trolls and haters could go to hell, I just wanted you to stick it out with me as much as I wanted to stand by your side. I chose you still be with you the least I wanted from you was to choose me too."

"I did choose you. I was protecting you; I couldn't sit here by the side-lines and watch people talk mad dog shit bout someone I love."

Oh shit. We both look at each other with wide eyes at his slip, "I – gotta go."

"Devontae –"

"Goodbye, Kiana." He quickly leaves the apartment, shutting the door behind him. On the floor a piece of folded paper, I pick it up opening it up.

'I know I fucked up and I'm sorry I put you through emotional hell, and I deserve everything I'm facing now, and I don't deserve you. Nala misses you just as much as I do. P.S I'll never stop trying to get you back.' The note slips from my hand. Oh no.

...

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Sorry for the emotional trauma but I just had to, lol. ; )