chapter forty one

Oh hell no

Oh hell no. I look at myself in the mirror and I've never felt so ridiculous. Devontae, being the 6'4 giant he is, his clothes practically are two sizes larger but because I'm overweight my hips, fill out the shorts a little. I've laughed at myself so hard that even tears started running down my face. I just know that he's gonna enjoy the shit out of this.

The only thing I like about this outfit is that it smells like him. I look at Nala who looking at me with large doe eyes and a wagging tail. "I look ridiculous, don't I?" Nala tilts her head to the side and barks a response. I inhale one deep breath and step out of his room, the little four-month-old Rottweiler following closely behind. I climb down the stairs, out the kitchen door, and through the large backyard to the outdoor basketball court where Devontae is. I thank God I'm wearing Nike Air forces today. He bounces the ball once before dribbling it down to the free-throw line, makes a shot, and scores. He looks over his shoulder and bursts into spluttering laughter. I frown, the corners of my mouth lifting, fighting the bubbling laughter in my throat.

"This is not funny."

He laughs even harder and braces his hands on his knees. I can't help but join in his contagious laughter until tears leak from both our eyes. "I feel like an Oompa-Loompa." I say, looking down at myself then back up at him. He inhales a deep breath and wipes his eyes, calming down from his laughing fit, "In that case, you're a cute Oompa Loompa."

I turn my face away from him, trying the hide the clear blush on my cheeks, "Can we shift the attention off of me, please? I already feel ridiculous in this." He shakes his head, "Nah, don't be. You pull it off better than I do anyway."

I'm sure I'm fire engine red at this point. I shove him away, "stop, let's play." He smacks his teeth, "fine." He turns away but stops in his track and turns back to me, "what happens if I win?"

I'm silent as I think, then idea comes to me, "If I win, you have to get a tattoo of my choice." He arches a brow at me, "if you win, I will get a tattoo of your choice." I cringe. Devontae looks at me in disbelief, "you're shitting me."

"Nope, pinkie swear?" I say seriously as I lift my pinkie finger the way we always do when sealing a promise. "You do realize there ain't no takebacks, right?" He looks down at my pinkie sceptically, "I know." He locks his pinkie with mine and he nods, I run to the opposite side of the court, standing on guard by the hoop.

Devontae dribbles the ball expertly between his legs and throws the ball outside of the free-throw line. I can't help but watch helplessly as it lands into the basket with ease, and I look over to the athlete with narrowed eyes. "C'mon, you're not being any fair."

"Come at me then. Just because you five feet and a girl don't mean I'd go easy on you, mamas."

Oh, it's on now. I roll my eyes and rolls my hair around into a bun and ties it with a scrunchie around my wrist. I crack my fingers and roll my neck, "aight bet."