chapter thirty five

My palms are sweating, I'm feeling queasy, and I can't keep still

My palms are sweating, I'm feeling queasy, and I can't keep still. "Are you guys sure I look, okay?" I ask, looking down at my outfit of a of a leopard print skirt with a rhinestone belt, a black ruched crop top, black booties.

"Yes, girl. Just relax." Sasha say exiting her bedroom. I fidget with my curls, putting them behind my ears and then fluffing my hair out again. I tug at the end of my top, feeling a little self-conscious about showing my body a little more provocatively. Wearing clothes that show off skin and that are revealing aren't my cup of tea, but I might as we try it, baby steps.

"That man will have heart palpitations from seeing you." Cassie says, from the couch. Amaal who's stuffing her face with popcorn gives me a thumbs up in encouragement. There's a knock at the door and my heart sinks into my stomach and my heart jumps into throat. Shit. I'm even more nervous than I was before. "You gonna open the door or?" I blink at Sasha, unable to move, fear keeping me in place, "okay then." Sasha gets up from the bar stool and opens the front door.

Devontae steps in, greeting Sasha and he halts when he sees me. I rise onto my feet, stepping closer to him. His Adam's apple bob as he swallows, looking at me from head to toe. I tuck my hair behind ear, his intense stare makes me avoid looking at him in the eyes.

"Hi." He breathes out.

"Hi." I say softly.

I turn to look at my girls and Sasha, Cassie, and Amaal stare at the both of us with proud smiles on their faces. "I guess you guys should get going, hmm?"

Devontae snaps out of it, nodding, "Yeah, uh we should. These are for you." He holds out a bouquet of white roses, I look at them in awe. This is my first time ever receiving flowers. Ever. "Thank you, they're beautiful."

"Beautiful, indeed." He says but I know he's not referring to the flowers because he's looking at me. Sasha retrieves the flowers from my hands, "I'll put these in a vase for you."

Devontae holds out his arm for me to take and I slide my arm through it, settling my hand on his bicep. He opens the door for me, Sasha and the girls following us. "Make sure to bring her back home by midnight." Cassie smirks. Amaal rolls her eyes, "don't listen to her, D. Stay out as late as you want."

"Use protection please, I don't wanna be an aunt just yet." Sasha says. "Sasha!" Devontae simply laughs at my outburst. "Goodnight, ladies."

"You look amazing." He says as we head to the elevator. "Thank you. You clean up nicely as well. Wait a second." I say, registering his attire of his all black attire of black dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt and a blazer. I fix the buttons of his shirt, that were done up incorrectly and leave couple unbuttoned at the top. I pat his chest once I'm done, and he scoop my hand in his placing a kiss on the outside on my palm.

I know my face looks as red as a tomato now. "So where are we going?" He interlocks our hands, his large palm covering mine, as we walk to the car, "you'll see."