chapter twenty eight

Kiana's birthday 

Kiana's birthday 

I go down the stairs, still half asleep, rubbing my eyes from my slumber. Jesus, I'm exhausted. As if it wasn't enough that my father tried to buy my forgiveness by trying to pay off my tuition and my student loans as a way of trying to get me to forget that he legit abandoned his family and left his wife to raise three children on her own. He also has the audacity to call and text multiple times since we met at the café. When Devontae tried asking how I felt about the whole situation, I only gave him a vague answer because I didn't wanna cry in front of him.

That seems to be the only thing I seem to do in front of him, and it needs to stop. I've been doing nothing but trauma dumping on him and dragging him into my family mess when he needs to be preparing for the draft. "Happy birthday!!"

I scream, jumping from my position by the counter about to make myself some coffee to wake myself up but clearly, I don't need that cup of coffee anymore. "Jesus, fucking Christ! What is wrong with you people?" I wheeze, recovering from the jump scare and flip them off. The place is decorated in pink, blue and purple balloons around the living room and kitchen. There's pink confetti everywhere and a big banner on the fireplace with the words "happy birthday". They laugh at me and when I finally recover from my miniature heart attack I speak, ''my god, I hate y'all. I knew y'all were up to something.''

''Shut up and give us a hug.'' Roman says and wraps his bulky arms around me in a hug. I hug them all individually I get Devontae last, and I punch him on his forearm.

''You told me you guys weren't gonna do anything.'' I punch him again and he shoves me, "you have got to stop hitting me, but yes, you should know by now we were gonna honour your wishes."

''I hate you the most,'' I mutter as I hug him. "No, you don't." He answers and I blush. Sasha comes from the kitchen, holding a cake with candles lit. I'm in my fucking pjs and my friends take out their phones taking videos and pictures. As they sing 'happy birthday', I also begin recording on my own phone, regardless of how messed up I look.

''Make a wish, babe.'' Sasha says, I give my phone to Amaal and as I blow out the candles. ''So, what'd you wish for?'' Travis asks and Lucas nudges him with his elbow, ''T, you can't ask what the wish is, it won't come true if she does.''

Travis rolls his eyes, and I shake my head, laughing under my breath. ''Nah, fuck that, we not twelve years old. We're too old for superstitions. What was it?'' Cassie pushes and soon everyone is yelling over on another, pleading for me to tell.

''Okay! Fine. I'll tell you.'' Eight pair of eyes peer at her in anticipation, ''I'm just playing', I'm not gonna tell ya. Y'all might wanna know but y'all can forget about it.'' The gang groans as they sit down. Soon each of them place gifts onto the table I'm about to ask why they got me them in the first place after I said I didn't need any but Sasha shakes her head.

''Just shut up and open them.'' Sasha says, sitting on James's lap. The first one is from Amaal, a small rectangular box with pink wrapping paper. I unwrap it and inside it's a gold necklace with my name engraved in it.