chapter fifty five

The girls left for NYC today, so I'm left at home all by myself

The girls left for NYC today, so I'm left at home all by myself. I'm still reeling of shock from Devontae's accidental love confession, it was unexpected, but I couldn't help the way my pulse quickened, and my breath slowed, I thought I was hearing things. On the note he dropped yesterday, at the back of it was the pass plane ticket and everything else I needed upon arriving in New York.

I know for sure the girls are living it up in the Big Apple right now. I've never been. To be honest I haven't been anywhere else except LA and Texas, the places I've always to travel to where NYC, Canada, and Hawaii. New York for the fast city life, Canada for the snow which I have never got to see or experience and Hawaii for the culture and the beautiful scenery.

However, I'm gonna miss out on that now, as I wallow in self-pity and my own sorrow, I grab one of the tubs of cookie dough ice cream from the freezer and decide to watch the tv for once and not Netflix, my brain needs a break. I flip through the channels but come to a quick stop when I see the news reporting the boys' game today, all of them have bright smiles on their faces except Devontae who has his air pods plugged into his ears, seating furthest from the group.

I can't even hear what the reporters are saying because I'm focused on Devontae, who seems he'd rather be anywhere else than there, "Devontae! Devontae! We have a couple of questions to ask you if you don't mind." His chest rises and falls as he releases a deep breath, removing his air pods and moving his chair closer to the mic.

"You have been waiting on this moment for a long time, I believe after the explosive fight that broke out between you and your former teammate, Dominic Dominguez. What intentions do you have for today's game today?" One interviewer asks and Devontae keeps his face neutral as he shrugs but his balled up fists tell me that just the mention of Dom's name rubs him the wrong way.

"My only intentions today is to win the game and win the NCAA championship."

"You sound very confident about your answer, Mr Devontae."

He looks at the interviewer and shrugs, "that's because I know so."

"Mr Carter! The past month and a half have been treacherous, with the gossip blogs practically exposing your newfound relationship as well as some personal things about your now ex-girlfriend, so I must ask how it makes you feel?"

"How does that make me feel?" He laughs but I can tell that he founds none of it funny, it's more like a bitter laugh, "I was born into this life I could handle it, what I couldn't was seeing total strangers tear down and humiliate someone I care about."

Care as in the present tense.

"Can we speculate that the breakup was ensued by the online pressure." Devontae looks down at his hands or a while, not answering immediately, "yes and no. I made a stupid decision and it cost me my relationship and there's nobody to blame but me. I – I love her and I'm willing to do all in my power to get her back. She's – my soulmate."

Nothing becomes clear to me as tears run down my cheeks. I'd be a fucking fool if I don't go to New York after this. I abandon my ice cream and sprint up the stairs, when I enter my room, I pack my toiletries in a bag and the throw as many random clothing and shoes I can, I look down at my outfit and I decide to roll with it, ain't not sweats ever hurt nobody. I grab my ID, my plane ticket, and keys. I zip up my bag but struggle towards the end at it refuses to zip due to me just throwing my clothes in without folding.

I sit on the bag, zipping it closed and drag it down the stairs, I place everything by the door and grab my phone and charger, I order an Uber and quickly gather all my stuff before leaving the apartment. The driver is extremely fast arriving by the entry of the apartment building. He helps me load my stuff in the back and I get in. I'm going to get my man back.

...

The universe is testing my patience, TSA were being their usual self by pulling me aside, searching my stuff, making walk through the metal detector multiple times I'm pretty sure they racially profiled me but anyway... their extensive search came up with nothing and not only was I pissed about how much time I wasted I missed my flight, but the game is also set to start at eight thirty and it's four pm. New York is three hours ahead of us which mean I practically have plus minus an hour and a half.

Honestly, I don't anticipate arriving when the game arrives but as long as I can fucking get there, the next flight is scheduled at five pm, so I have no choice but to wait. I grab a seat by the waiting area, connecting my phone to my headphones and blast my music.

...

I dozed off.

'Calling all passengers to board flight 763 to New York. Final call for all passengers to board to New York.'

Shit. The announcement kicks my ass into gear, and I leap to my feet to the boarding gate. I run as fast as I can and hand the ticket lady my ticket as she takes it. She smiles at me before leading the way, "you made it just in time."

I'm huffing and puffing, unable to reply, I'm so unfit. "Glad I did." She lets me board the plane and I find my seat, putting my luggage above me. I sit down, next to a woman and her baby, placing my headphones back on as the pilot's voice is heard from overhead. Next stop, The Big Apple.

...

More running is done after I get off the plane, I'm about to hail a cab but a luxury car stops right in front of me. "Miss Brooks?" I peer at the driver and its an old man, with greyish white hair and glasses, he's dressed in a suit and has on black gloves. "Yes?" I ask, uneasy about how this man knows my name.

"Oh, I'm Martin Calloway, your personal driver."

"I'm sorry what?" There must be a mistake.

"Mr. Carter told me to be on watch in case you change your mind about coming."

Oh, now I feel like a real bitch. "Thank Mr. Calloway." He gets out of the sleek, black Mercedes SUV. He grabs my stuff and puts them in the trunk. He opens the door for me, and I get in, "please call me, Martin."

"So where to Miss Brooks?" He asks me as he get in the driver's seat, "Madison Square Garden, please."

...

AUTHOR'S NOTE

It's crunch time now, baby.