chapter thirty

"Devontae Tyrell Carter

"Devontae Tyrell Carter."

"Ooooh." Comes everyone's replies as I march my way into my apartment where everyone is. All eight of them seated on the couches as they watch Stranger Things that's playing on the television. My eyes scan the room until they finally land on the person in particular.

At the mention of his name and the moment my eyes zero in on him, I can see the fear in his eyes and his throat bobbing up and down from swallowing, if I weren't so mad, I would laugh at his reaction, but I remind myself of why I left my shift before my lunch break.

"Devontae, kitchen. Now."

I see the over six foot giant scramble to his feet and follows right behind me. Even though the living room is directly opposite the kitchen with nothing obstructing it due to the open concept, I don't wanna go anywhere where there's nobody else but us. The last time we were in a room together it ended with him quite bluntly admitting his feelings for me with me in his lap and I just froze and said nothing.

I blanked the fuck out. His admission was so raw and untimely that it caught me off guard and I just froze, and God I wish I could turn back time and say what I really felt but because I took too long to respond - Devontae - being the sweet man that he is brushed it off and said it was okay and he didn't expect me to say anything back, he just needed to let it off his chest.

As much as he said he didn't expect me to say anything back the look in his told me that he was disappointed or in the least expected me to say that I feel the same way about him, and I've been kicking myself about it for the past two weeks now.

Sometimes I thank God for him being an athlete because it keeps him so busy that I barely see him, I can't bear looking at him in the face and seeing the saddened look in his eyes every time we do make eye contact and to make matters worse, he still acts the same way he does around me but it's not the same.

When he joins me in the kitchen, he has his hands tucked into the pockets of his jeans, a switch up from his usual attire of his sweats or basketball kit. "You summoned me?"

I would laugh but as I said before I'm in no laughing mood. "what's this text about?" His eyes dart from the wall to mine, "what text?"

I arch a brow at him, "this text." I take out my phone from my cross-body purse and unlock it, going to my iMessage's and turning the phone around to face him, "this one."

He glances at it once before making eye contact with me, "read it aloud."

"I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend for my family barbecue this weekend." He mumbles. I put my hand around my ear to make as if I can't hear him, "I'm sorry I can't hear you, what?" He rolls his eyes at me before, grabbing me by the forearm and tugging me out of the kitchen and opening the front door. He gets out first then I'm dragged out after.

He shuts the door behind me, and I lean against the door, arms folded, "was that really necessary?" As much as I won't admit it, even though the contact if his palm with my arm was before, my skin still tingles like it's still there.