Stars

"I missed you." Mason says over the phone and I smile.

"Well, if you'd returned my calls... " I laugh.

I want to tell him that I was worried, that I was afraid something had happened but I keep those words to myself. I don't want to make him as anxious as I am.

"I'm sorry; I forgot to charge it in the morning and Jesse had us going up and down the whole day."

"I don't know what's wrong with these people. Peyton drove us to Cali just to buy an outfit."

Peyton turns around to glare at me from the passenger seat. I stick my tongue out at her and Zoe and Bianca laugh.

"Peyton? Does Jesse know she's coming?"

"Well I believe so; she's always at his parties."

"Hmm..." I look at the phone, puzzled, although he can't see me. "I'm not so sure he wants her at this one."

I look out the window as we turn into Jesse's street. There are already cars parked in the street.

"Huh? Why?"

"His girlfriend's coming."

"Oh. Well, too late. We're already here. I'll see you inside."

"Okay."

I end the call as Zoe parks the blue Chevrolet behind a red jeep at the end of the street. We all get out of the car and step into the warm evening weather.

There are a couple of people in the front yard, mostly just sitting and a few of them drinking.

"How do I look?" Peyton turns to us, a smile on her face.

"Like you did thirty minutes ago," Zoe laughs, "hot."

Pey smirks before turning around and walking towards the house.

She does look hot. She picked this long sleeved bodycon pink dress that shows just the right amount of cleavage and clings to her curves. Adding the black stilettos, it'd be a miracle if Jesse didn't fall to his knees.

I just feel really bad for his girlfriend although it would be better if she found out what kind of a guy he is.

Zoe also put in effort in her outfit. Matching Peyton's black stilettos but with a midthigh black dress.

Bianca and I are just wearing jeans and tops.

The door is ajar and we make our way into the living room. The music isn't too loud but it's loud enough for everyone to already be dancing and climbing on furniture.

Oh, wait, that's the alcohol.

"Let's go get some drinks." Zoe suggests.

I'll get a drink and go find Mason.

We follow her to the kitchen, walking past a mixture of familiar and unfamiliar faces.

"I thought there wouldn't be so many people here since Jesse said he doesn't want to invite a lot of people." I say to Bianca.

"Correction," Pey turns to us, "he said he doesn't want to invite a lot of girls. Look around."

As she turns away, Bianca and I look around the room.

She's not wrong. There are usually a lot of girls here but tonight, it's mostly guys. If only the idiot didn't sleep with every girl he came across.

"Look, there's Max." Bianca points and I look up.

I smile when I see him. He's leaning against the wall, chatting to some girl. He looks completely disinterested but still manages to smile and nod.