I Thought She Was Gone

Ramadan Mubarak❤️❤️😊

***

"Today was a huge success." Miss Betty beams. "I'm in awe. You're amazing, Maya."

"Thank you." I look down shyly. "I didn't do everything on my own. All my friends and our parents helped."

"You've done so much for these kids." I look up and find her smiling sadly. "You don't know how much it means to them to see someone put in so much effort for them."

"As long as I can help, I think I should always do something. If I can give more than my time, I probably should."

"Thank you, so much." She holds up the decorated shoe box in her hands. "This is all the money and cheques that were given. We were able to get more people to commit to volunteering. That friend of yours, the one with the curly hair, he said he'll come around sometimes to give the kids a show and teach them how to play the guitar."

"Really?" I smile in disbelief. "That's actually... That's really thoughtful of him."

It's not that Justin isn't the most thoughtful person. He's just... He doesn't often observe others enough to realise that they need his help.

"Miss Betty!" One of the volunteerers who usually come here calls out.

"Yes!" Miss Betty looks around and I point behind her. "Oh! What's wrong?"

"We need you this side." The volunteerer says.

"Maya, I've got to go. I'll see you..."

"I'm not sure. I'll be going away with Mason for the holidays."

"A romantic getaway." Miss Betty raises her eyebrows with a sly smirk.

"What? No," I laugh nervously, "we'll be spending Christmas with his family."

"His family?" Her eyes slightly widen and she smiles. "That's so sweet, he's introducing you to his parents?"

"Well, uhm..."

There's so much to correct from the statement. Mason has one parent, who I've known for a while now so this is no introduction. I'm not sure where to begin explaining.

"Yeah..." I nervously laugh and continuously nod.

"I wish you the best." Miss Betty gives me a sweet smile and gently places a hand over mine. "Don't be nervous, I'm sure they'll love you. Why wouldn't they?"

"Thank you." I smile as she walks away.

I look around at the now empty hallway. The last children and guests left about half an hour ago. We were still cleaning up but we're almost done.

A pair of hands wrap around my waist from behind, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?" Mason's voice makes me smile shyly.

"A thousands times." I giggle. "I know you're lying now. My makeup is probably smudged and my eyebags must be prominent."

"No," he says and I turn around to face him, "You're as beautiful as ever."

"Oh my gosh." Priya rolls her eyes as she approaches us. She struggles to hide her smile.

"I told you to get a boyfriend and stop bothering us!" Mason scolds and Priya pouts.

"I told you I can't get one!" Priya pouts. "It's not my fault no one likes me."

I part my mouth, almost ready to say something but immediately shut it as I spot Max approaching us with Bianca.