Memories and Dilemmas

Two updates, same day, baby😎

***

Maya's POV

"I feel so relieved." I sigh as I sit on the floor and rest my head against Peyton's bed.

Since Zoe is gone for the night, we thought it would be a good idea to have a sleepover. It's against the dorm rules but half the students here are gone so nobody's really checking up on us.

"How did Max take it?" Bianca asks as she sits opposite us on her bed.

"He was..." I smile and look away. "He took it like Max would. He didn't let his emotions get the best of him and he listened patiently to my explanation."

"Aw. Maxie is the best." Peyton remarks.

"Yeah, he is." Bianca smiles, looking down at the bag of potato chips on her lap.

Peyton clears her throat and motions for me to hand her the hairbrush on the floor. I pick it up and give it to her. She releases my hair from the ponytail I had put it in.

"I broke my promise when I kept this secret from him." I state.

"Promise?" Peyton begins to gently brush my hair.

"We made a promise to each other when we restarted our friendship. No lies and secrets. I thought he knew where Mason was so I cut all ties with him for some time until I realised he was just as clueless as I was. When we became friends again, we made that promise."

"Don't feel guilty." Bianca says. "You just wanted to see Mason."

"Speaking of..." I turn to look at Peyton and find her grinning. "Since Mason is back, does this mean you guys will..."

"Will what?" I slightly frown.

"Maya," she turns my head around to face Bianca, "do I have to spell it out for you?"

"She wants to know if you and Mason will get back together." Bianca giggles.

"Wh... What? Uh... Uhm..." I look down and fiddle with my thumbs.

They both laugh and I pout and look up at them.

"No need to be shy, chica." Peyton laughs.

"I don't really know." I reply. "It's been a long time. What if he's over me?"

I feel a sadness chip at my current happiness at the thought.

They remain silent and I look expectantly between my two best friends.

"I don't know." Bianca shrugs, giving me a small smile. "What I do know is that Mason Wilder was very crazy about you."

"Maya," Peyton begins, "what about you? How do you feel about him?"

"I, I'm not sure. I think I still love him."

"There's only one thing to do if that's the case. You have to see him more often, I'm sure that will help you figure out how he feels. Maybe he'll even declare his love for you."

Bianca giggles and nods in agreement to Peyton's words.

I close my eyes and focus on the relaxing feeling of the brush softly moving against my scalp.

Memories of Mason and I, back in high school, resurface. I knew him for only a few months but those were the best days of my life.

He gave me butterflies and made me laugh. Even when we were staring at danger, I felt safest in his arms.

Oh no, I sound stupid.

I love you, Maya Banks.

These words have tortured me for a long time. I've replayed them in my mind over and over. While they're linked to a traumatic memory, they've made everything much more bearable.