Fall

"Why do stars fall down from the sky
Every time you walk by?"
~Carpenters, Close To You

***

"I spoke with the wedding planner and he's on his way."

"Aw, thank you." She sighs. "You, aunt and Mason have been so helpful."

"Of course, we're all happy to help."

My eyes move to Mason who is miserably staring at all the decorations we'll have to put up around the backyard.

Lilly wants to have her wedding here. Her first choice was the house she grew up in but Nebraska is a bit far for most of her friends and family and that house was sold years ago.

It had a spacious backyard with the brightest flowers. Her mother's greatest passion was gardening. You could see the most beautiful sunsets on the patio. While the sunset views here aren't the best, they're not too bad.

There aren't any flowers now but there are plenty of trees in the backyard. Their fallen leaves have created a beautiful carpet of red and orange that I never would've thought would work for a wedding.

Her biggest goal for a backyard wedding though is to dance under the moonlight and stars to a slowed version of Carpenters' Close To You. She says it's perfect for her fall wedding.

"What about the photographer?"

"They were here earlier on and they set up everything for the photoshoot."

At this point, I should send out an invoice along with the wedding planner.

"What about the setting for Brian, Mellie and I?"

I smile at the mention of my niece. I've never seen a baby as cute as her.

"All set."

"Okay, thank you. Nutty, we'll speak when I get home. I have another call coming in."

"Okay, sis." I hang up a second later.

"Why do you look so defeated?" I laugh, turning to Mason. "Haven't you done this before?"

The small smile that appears on his face tells me he remembers the event I'm referring to.

"That was one tree with a small picnic blanket and it was our first date so I could've climbed a mountain in two minutes to prepare everything and our friends were there to help. Where are they?"

"I spoke to Bianca and she said they're a few minutes away."

"I think they're hoping they can arrive late and find most of the work already done." Mason narrows his eyes.

"They don't know us very well, do they?" I laugh as I sit on my bed.

"No, no," he shakes his head and grabs my hand, "Lilly will kill us if she gets here to an empty backyard. As for your mom, she'll say I'm a bad influence."

My smile saddens at those words. It's basically a miracle that mom let him not only come here but attend the wedding. Well, I guess she didn't have a choice there. Lilly wants him at the wedding.

Slowly but surely, for the past three months, she's been working on accepting our relationship. It's been a bumpy ride but at least... She's trying.

The other weekend she went shopping with Mason and I for our dress and tux. She was too tired from work and wasn't much fun but, I was so happy to be spending time with her.

As for dad, as long as I don't close the bedroom door when I'm alone with Mason, he's fine.

"What are you thinking about?"