Peyton Stories And New Plans

Bianca and I stare at Peyton as she moves around their room, putting away all her things. Priya's driver just dropped her off.

"We met this girl," Pey takes off her shoes, "who I thought was really cool and hot..."

There's a short pause as she changes out of her t-shirt into a baggy hoodie.

She's telling us the story of some girl she met last night. Apparently it's worth putting away my school books for.

"Yes, and?" Bianca urges her on.

"But..." She continues, "out of nowhere Jesse shows up and kisses her."

"Now, I'm thinking this is one of his... Hook ups..."

"Was it?" I question, fully invested in this story.

Peyton was drunk and Jesse was there, with another girl, it has to be good.

"So I waited until he disappeared again and reapproached my new friend."

She sits down on the floor, placing her hands, palms down, behind her.

"I go over to her, drunk as hell, and start telling her every shitty thing I could think of of Jesse. I tell her how he has a girlfriend he claims to love but somehow he forgot about her whenever we were in his bedroom, car, restrooms-"

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!"

"Okay! That's enough." Bianca and I simultaneously stop her.

We turn to each other and realising our widened eyes and hands, hanging in the air, laugh.

"This is serious, focus." Pey whines.

"Continue, continue." Bianca waves a dismissive hand, still laughing.

"So I basically tell her everything Jesse has been doing, hoping I can trash his name and save this hot new girl from heartbreak..."

"She didn't listen to you?" I ask with a frown.

Peyton hangs her head and sighs.

"She was his girlfriend."

The smiles drop from our faces as I meet Bianca's gaze.

"Then Priya returns from the bathroom and I find out that this girl is not just his girlfriend but is... Is that girl that..." She looks up at me and sighs again.

"Mary?" Bianca and I speak simultaneously.

"Yes... You weren't kidding, she's gorgeous." She says to Bianca.

"Are you telling me she and Jesse might be over right now?"

"Hmm," Pey nods, "but I don't know. Jesse can be convincing, he might spin some story."

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, it's kind of sad that Mary had to find out about Jesse in that way. She seemed to really like him.

On the other hand, if they actually broke up, that means she might be out of our lives. If she's smart, she won't go to either one of the colleges we attend. She'll find some other place.

"I think I'll be more at ease knowing that I don't have to worry about bumping into her at Jesse's."

"But wouldn't her being away from you guys prevent you from knowing her plans?" Peyton asks.

"Hmm?" I find myself humming because I do not know how to respond.

She has a point.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer?"