Brown Envelopes And Afternoon Naps

*I read the first line in the cute little baby's voice* 😂❤️

***

"Why are you leaving?" Lilly pouts, sitting on the barstool next to me.

"I've got to go." I take a bite of my toast.

"I've spoken to mom and she's clearly adamant what she did was right. I've got midterms to study for, I'm not going to sit around the whole day waiting for her to come back just so we can have a repeat of last night."

"You should've woken me up. Perhaps if I had been..."

"No, Lilly, I shake my head. I don't want to stress you."

"I'm your sister, I'm supposed to stress about you."

"No." I narrow my eyes at her. "I'm planning on becoming that baby's favourite aunt and you're already setting me up for failure. If I stress the baby, the baby won't like me."

"What in the..." She looks at me dumbfoundedly. "Where did you even hear that?"

"It makes sense." I shrug and she laughs.

"What about uncle Lex? Have you spoken to him?"

"Yeah, I woke up early before he left for the hospital."

"What did he say?"

"He asked me to forgive mom and that he'll talk to her." I sigh and trap some pieces of scrambled eggs between the tines of my fork.

"I'm sorry about everything, Nutty." She gives me an apologetic smile.

"Its alright." I reply once I've swallowed.

"Okay, at least before we leave, let's go to the store to get some snacks for the road."

"Oh no," I shake my head, "you don't have to come with me. You haven't seen them in like a year, you should stay here if you want."

"They're going to come back really late and leave really early. I won't get to see them either way. Besides, I'm your only ride."

"Alright, alright but I was going to take the bus."

"Why would you..." She stands and grabs our plates.

"Hey!" I whine. "I'm not done with that.

"Go take a shower and I'll clean up. After that, we're hitting the store."

After my ten minutes shower, I blow dry my hair and tie it up into a ponytail. I open the closet I used to share with Lilly to pick out some clothes. All of her stuff is gone but most of mine is still in here.

I grab a red t-shirt with the word, "Hey" written in bold white letters on it. I scan my pants department for some jeans and end up taking out the black ones in my bag. I put on the white sneakers I was wearing yesterday before heading back down.

"Are you ready?" Lilly looks up from her phone as I make my way into the living room.

"Yeah." She nods, getting up from the couch.

When we get to the store, Lilly parks before we quickly exit it.

"This place has changed so much." Lilly beams, hooking her arm into mine.

I look up at the shops in front of us. To me, it looks pretty much the same.

"Let's go in!" She starts pulling me towards the open doors in front of us.

"Maya? Maya Banks?" Lilly and I look up as we enter the store.

"Charlotte!" My eyes slightly widen.