Morning Talks And Lunch Dates

Mason's POV

"Mason! Mason!" Chris violently shakes me and I jump out of my covers and frantically look around the room.

"What? Are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, wake up."

"What the-" I cover my face with my hands and groan. "Chris, why did you wake me up?"

"We need to talk?"

"Man, what time is it?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"It's 6:30."

"Chris, you woke me up at 6:30 to talk?" I throw my hands in the air.

I couldn't sleep last night, I kept tossing and turning. I've probably only been asleep for a few hours.

"You didn't sleep last night, you kept tossing and turning." He states.

"And yet you woke me up." I glare at him and he smiles sheepishly.

"Sorry?" He shrugs.

"What do you want to talk about?" I sigh.

"Maya."

I stare at him.

"You didn't go to her yesterday. You said you couldn't but you didn't offer me any further explanation. I tried to work out how this whole thing will pan out but I need to speak to you. Why exactly did you change your mind yesterday?"

"Chris, I just couldn't. "

"Why?" He sits down next to me.

"I walked out of her life, I can't just walk back in. What was I going to say?"

"You were supposed to say what's on your mind."

"She wants me to explain, she wants me to tell her why I left and where I've been."

"I suggest you tell her the truth."

"Chris, it's not that easy. So much happened."

"Didn't you say you bumped into someone she knows last night?" I nod. "They asked you where you've been as well and told you that Maya missed you."

"Chris, Lilly not only said that but she told me Maya went through a lot. If I hadn't entered her life, she would've never experienced any of that pain."

"Have you thought that the problem isn't that you came into her life but that you left?"

I turn to him and sigh.

"I can't go back into her life if I'm not certain I can stay this time. I made a lot of promises to her last time, promises I couldn't keep."

"Like what?"

"I promised her I'd protect her and that we'd go back home. Instead, I watched her get shot in front of me and my hands were drenched with her blood." I sniff and blink back my tears. "I just can't..."

"Mason, just please, talk to her."

***

Maya's POV

The door swings open and a panic stricken Bianca stands in the doorway. I look up at her with widened eyes, full of confusion and worry.

"Bianca?"

"There's no time to talk." She runs into the room. "You have to come with me."

She grabs me, pulling me off the chair. I bump into my study table but she doesn't even stop when I start groaning. I shut the door behind us as she continues pulling me towards the stairs.