Dinner Squabbles And Bad Jokes

I put my phone away as Bianca finally finds some parking. The four of us step out of her car and into the warm evening weather. We immediately spot our friends a few cars away and they start making their way over to us.

"Hey!" Jesse waves at us. We wave back, awkwardly, as we watch Peyton ignore him.

Bianca, Zoe and I exchange questioning looks before everyone starts entering the restaurant.

How are we supposed to act around Jesse? Are we supposed to hate him? Come to think of it, we should.

"Hey." Mason slips his arm around my shoulders, causing me to look up at him.

"Hey." I reply with a smile, putting my arm around his waist.

I notice Max glance at us before he enters through the open door of the restaurant. I look down, trying to push back my feelings of guilt.

"Are you alright?" Mason asks.

"Yeah," a soft frown forms on my face, "it's just... Max and..."

"I get you." He sighs and we follow Chris as the last of our group to get into the place.

It's not packed like most evenings and we immediately find two tables near the back of the room. They're close to each other so we each pull out a chair and sit down. Mason and I sit adjacent each other.

"I haven't seen you in so long." He turns to me.

"Why didn't you apply to my school when you were sending out applications?" I narrow my eyes at him and pout. "I would see you everyday."

"Hey, it's not my fault you didn't write me an email saying you were coming here." He pauses and seems to think. "Oh wait, it is my fault."

"Bad joke." I laugh and playfully push his arm back.

I haven't seen him since Sunday so I couldn't tell him about my mom or that I'm going home this weekend. After dinner, I'll speak to him about it.

"If you two are done," I look up at Zoe, who's focused on us, "we should order."

I stick my tongue out at her and she laughs. I grab the menu in front of me and open it. Mason leans his head closer to mine to also get a look.

"I've never been here, what do you recommend?"

"The rice and fish are to die for." Peyton grins and excitedly nods.

"Nah, the steak is the best." Jesse replies, glancing at Peyton.

I give Zoe an alarmed look and she brings her menu up to shield her face.

"The steak is horrible, anyone who likes it clearly has bad taste."

What? She likes the steak.

"Hey, I like the steak, it's-" Zoe shoots a glare at Chris and he quickly closes his mouth.

"What's that even supposed to mean?" Jesse frown and shrugs his shoulders.

"Oh, I'm sorry, are your two brain cells struggling to comprehend that statement?"

I bring my hands to my lips and look down. I hear Bianca titter and I look at her with widened eyes.

This may not have been a good idea.

"Uhm, what's going on?" Mason turns to me, confusion written all over his features.

"It's uh... It's complicated." I smile sheepishly and he nods.

"Can I... Uhm..." We all look at the waiter now standing in front of us. His eyes move between Peyton and Jesse. "Can I take your order?"

"No," Peyton smiles at him, "not yet but here's a question. What would you suggest, the fish or steak?"