"I used to work for him."

Maya's POV

I hold up the box in my hands and Brian grabs two more books.

"What are you guys doing for Christmas?" I ask him as he finds a place for the books on their modest bookshelf.

"Uhmm...Our friends in Australia invited us to come spend it with them but so did my family. We're thinking of going home."

He motions for the box and I lift it up again. He grabs the last book.

"Cry, The Beloved Country..." I read the words on the spine of the book. "Alan Paton."

"Have you read it?" He asks and I shake my head.

"Uh uh."

"It's a great read." I put the box down and he hands the book to me. "Did you know, the author finished it in this city?"

"Really?" I smile and open a page, my eyes scanning the words.

"I'm back!" Lilly announces as the front door swings open.

"Yay!" I dramatically clap my hands, jumping around and she rolls her eyes.

"I'll hit you." She laughs. "What are you doing here?"

"I was on my way to see Mason so I thought I'd drop by." I reply with a grin and sit on the couch.

"Hmm," she hums, making her way to Brian, "Hey, baby."

She gives him a kiss on the cheek and he smiles, giving her a side hug.

"What did you bring?" My eyes move to the recyclable cup holder in Lilly's hands. "Aww, you knew I was here?"

"What?" She looks at me with confusion.

"You have three cups. Those are Creams milkshakes right?" I stare at the cups and she quickly hides them behind her back.

"These are for Brian and I." She gasps. "I didn't know you were coming."

"There are three! Share with me." I whine.

"Two for Brian and I and one for the baby."

My excitement dies down as I sink back into the couch.

"Am I going to have to compete with the baby?" I whisper. "I was sure I'd have to compete with you."

"Don't be dramatic." Lilly laughs and Brian joins in.

"You can have mine, Maya." Brian offers, grabbing a cup from Lilly.

"Really?" I grin. "Thank you!"

"Don't you have money, a boyfriend, friends, secret admirers who can buy you food?"

"None of them are my favourite cousin and brother in law." I put the paper straw in my mouth and take a long sip.

"Your only cousin and brother in law." They reply simultaneously.

***

Mason's POV

I hold the door open as Maya steps into the fast food place. Two little girls follow behind her and I continue to hold the door open for them.

"Thank you!" The older one gives me a toothy smile.

"What?" I ask as I notice Maya grinning at me.

"Nothing." Her grins grows as she links her arm in mine.

"I can't believe Derwin found a job and didn't tell me."

"Hmm, I'm sure he has his reasons. Do you think they'll let us take him away from his work."