"I'm still sleepy."

Maya's POV

"Zoe! Zoe, get up or you'll be late." I say over my shoulder, scrambling my feet into my skinny jeans.

Zoe groans and turns around. I roll my eyes and sigh. I've been trying to wake her up for over twenty minutes now.

"Zoe Williams, get up." I make my way to her bed and attempt to shake her awake.

She groans again and kicks her legs like a child.

"Maya, no."

"I'm not having that." I shake my head. "Wake up."

I pull her blankets and she shoots her eyes open.

"Maya." She whines before bringing her knees to her chin and hugging them.

"You're going to be late." I huff and put my hands on my hips. "I'm leaving right now. Please, just, get up and get ready."

I turn around and grab a hair tie from my study table along with my backpack and books.

"Bye." I say to Zoe, who's sleepily rubbing her eyes but is now sitting up on her bed.

I quickly walk to Bianca and Peyton's room down the hall. I stand in front of the red door, marked 3B, and lift my hand up. I softly knock and hear a muffled reply from the other side. The door opens a second later.

"Morning." Bianca greets with a smile.

She slings her backpack over her shoulders and steps outside before closing the door.

"Morning." I reply as we begin walking.

"Where's Peyton?"

"Still sound asleep." Bianca laughs. "Her classes start later on."

"Oh, okay." I nod.

Bianca and I decided to get some coffee before our classes start. We haven't hung out, just the two of us, in a long time.

"How have you been?" I ask her as I slide into the driver's seat of my car.

"We spoke last night and texted about an hour ago." Bianca laughs.

"No." I look at my exterior mirror as I manouver the car out of the rather busy parking lot. "I mean, how are you? How are you really doing?"

She sighs and I turn to her for a second but she looks away.

"I'm good. I just... I..."

"What's wrong?" I begin to feel worried.

"I don't know. College isn't what I expected. I just miss high school." She laughs, a sad laugh that hurts me. "Just hanging out with Justin, Max and Shelly. Sleepovers with the three of us. I... I miss Shelly."

I sigh and try to focus on the road instead of looking at her.

"I understand." I say after about a minute of silence. "I miss her too but it's just that..."

"I know." Bianca replies. "I know."

I love Shelly. She was my best friend for so many years and I'm still hurt that all of that is gone. It's just that after what happened with Mason, all we did was fight and I felt like she was trying to control me. To control how I should feel.

"You know you can call her and everything." I say as we pull into the parking lot of Expresso.

She nods but doesn't say anything. We open our doors and step out of the car. I momentarily look at the sky, all shades of grey and not a hint of sunlight.

The weather just keeps on getting unpleasant.

I tug at the hem of my military green jacket and pull the zip up.

We walk into the coffee shop and I immediately smile at the scent that welcomes my nostrils. Muffins, cookies and coffee. Good coffee.

Bianca and I take a seat on one of the tables near the door.

"Hey, look." Bianca points outside the window and I follow her index finger. "That's Max's car."

I take my glasses out of my pocket and put them on. My eyes rest on the silver Hyundai and I smile.

"Yeah, it is." I reply, spotting the small dent on his bumper.

"He's probably inside." She starts looking around the room.

"Hey."

I turn around as a voice says next to us. A huge smile appears on my face.

"Can I sit with you guys?" Max asks, a disposable cup of coffee in his hand.

"Hey, of course." I reply with a laugh.

He pulls out the chair next to mine and sits down.

"How're you two doing?" He looks between Bianca and I.

"Good." Bianca replies with a nod.

"I'm still sleepy." I say, narrowing my eyes and lips.

Max laughs and leans his face closer to mine.

"I thought you were going to have an early night yesterday."

"It's not easy to just jump into a new sleep schedule." I sigh. "I don't think I'll have the best day. I can imagine the amount of work I'll have by the end of the day."

"We can meet up later and do it together." Max suggests, a playful smile on his face.

"No." I jokingly push him away. "I need to focus."

"I won't distract you." He says to me, one corner of his lips rising with a smirk. "I swear."

I giggle and lean my face closer to his.

Bianca clears her throat and we jerk our faces in her direction.

"I uh..." She releases a heavy sigh. "I need to go. I just remembered I forgot something in my room."

"Oh, I can come with you." I offer, pushing my chair back and about to stand up.

"No." She shakes her head. "Stay here, I'll see you later."

She doesn't wait for me to reply and turns around to walk out of the shop.

"Is everything alright with her?" Max questions, his eyes still glued to the door.

"I don't know." I reply.

I need to find out what's upsetting her.

***

Mason's POV

Chris rushes out of my room after I agree to wait for him for ten more minutes. Everyone else has already left and it's just the two of us here.

I look around my room, my eyes scanning the grey ceiling, white painted walls and grey mat. They finally rest on my backpack and I sigh, feeling very relieved.

I now have something to keep myself busy, my thoughts occupied. With college reopening, Maya won't be here so often.

It's not that I don't like seeing her. Every second that she's in front of me is some sort of a heavenly hell. I'm happy for her and Max but I wish she were mine. I wish I made her smile and laugh.

Seeing them together, I knew it would be hard but I didn't know it would break my heart like this. My best friend's happiness is the source of my sadness.

"Mason," Chris pops his head in to the room, "I'm ready to leave."

I nod and grab my backpack and car keys.

I'm sorry the chapter is so short😬.
School is reopening so updates may take longer.