Lunch And Letters

Maya's POV

"I've got two hours before my next class, let's go to get lunch." I suggest with a grin.

"Hmm," Bianca takes a sip of her soda, "I can't. I've got to meet up with Max."

She continues walking but I stop and stare at her, furiously blinking and fighting back a smile.

"What?" She turns to me and takes another sip from the can in her hand.

"You know what." I grin and tilt my head to the side.

"Uhm..."

"You and Max." I take two steps and catch up to her. "Zoe and Pey told me you two have been spending some time together."

"Maya, we're friends. We've been spending time together for years." She rolls her eyes and we continue walking towards the parking lot.

"Yes, yes but it's always been the three or four of us. Right now Justin and I aren't there. It's just you two."

"Yeah but..." She shrugs.

"C'mon," we stop again and I put my hand on her shoulder and smile, "I think you should go for it."

"Shoot my shot?" She slightly frowns and I nod excitedly. "Nah, I'm fine."

"Wha...Bianca?" She starts walking and I follow.

"Look, sure we're hanging out but it's not all cute and romantic. Especially since he's still-" she stops talking and her eyes slightly widen.

"He's still what?" I scrunch up my nose.

"He's uh..." She takes a sip. "He's so busy with school, it's all he wants to focus on these days. I think he recently got a bad grade and it's messing with him. Yeah, yeah."

"Oh, okay." I slowly nod.

"Look, I'll see you later." She says as we're about to reach the parking lot.

"Wait, I want to see Max. I haven't seen him in a while."

"He said he'll be a bit late so it's okay." She shrugs. "You should go and get your lunch." She turns me around and gently nudges me forward in the opposite direction.

Why is she being weird?

"Alright, I'll see you later." I glance at her over my shoulder before making my way towards the large campus gates.

I take out my phone to send a message to our group chat and find out where Peyton and Zoe are. As soon as the phone is in my hand, I receive a text.

A smile appears on my face as I read the name on my screen.

Mason: Hey (:
              Are you up for lunch?

My smile grows and I look around before looking down at my phone again.

This is why I love you.

I send a quick reply, telling him I'd like to have lunch. Instead of replying back, he calls.

"Hey."

"Hey, you know, I'm glad you agreed." He chuckles.

"Why?" I laugh.

"Because I would've been so disappointed to have driven here for nothing."

"Huh?" I look at my screen and frown before putting the phone back on my ear.

"Turn around." He chuckles.

I look around and search for...

What am I searching for?