"You're Maya Banks."

"M... Mason..." My lips tremble and my vision becomes blurry.

"Maya."

"How is... Is this...wh..." I run my hand through my hair, causing it to fall over my eyes. I push it behind my ears and blink back my tears.

It's him.

He's standing right in front of me. Almost two years later and he hasn't changed much.

I've wanted this for so long and now I don't even know what to say.

"Mason." My voice cracks.

He does not say anything but I can see the pain in his eyes. His body remains stiff and his breathing quickens.

I look down at my pockets when my phone starts vibrating. I take it out and stare at the screen.

I look up at Mason before answering. I place the phone on my ear and clear my throat.

"Mom."

His face falls when I say the word and he gulps nervously.

"May, how are you doing?" My mom asks.

"I uh..." I look at Mason and more tears fill my eyes. "I'm okay, mom. I'm just..."

"Maya, is something wrong?" Concern fills her voice.

"Yeah," I look up Mason again, "I just have this speech I've got to make and I'm a little nervous."

"Okay," she releases a sigh of relief, "it's okay, sweetheart. You'll do great. Just take deep breaths and think about calm and relaxing things. You've got this."

"Thank you, mom." I smile.

"I love you, baby."

"I love you too, mom."

We hang up and I quickly turn to Mason. His face seems different; there's a different kind of pain in his eyes. They remain glued to my phone and I look down at it.

"Mason, we...what are you doing here? Where have you been all this time? Wh..." I sigh and look away.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I just..." his eyes drift to my phone once more. "I can't."

"You can't?" My voice breaks. "What do you mean you can't?"

"It's... I... We..." He runs his hand through his hair.

"No, you can't just mumble some words and apologise. You need to-"

"Maya! Maya!" Bianca calls out my name.

I turn to look behind me, where her voice is coming from. My eyes widen and so do Mason's.

"Oh, you're here..." the smile that was on her face disappears when he eyes land on Mason and her mouth falls open.

Her eyes move between the two of us and she tries to speak but no words come out.

I ignore her and turn to Mason. I cross my arms and look him in the eyes. For a second, memories start flooding back and I almost forget the hurricane of emotions I'm currently feeling. I just want to fall into his arms, feel the comfort of them again. I want to stare lovingly into his eyes and forget everything else.

No, Maya.

"Are you going to give me answers?" I cross my arms.

"Maya..." I see his reluctance and sigh.

"Bianca, let's go." I grab her arm and begin to walk away.

"What is he-" I glare at her and she shuts her mouth.