Smoke

--Eleanor's pov--

I was singing for Mordred. It was late and I had him on the open corridor over looking the fields. This was my favorite spot to bring Mordred, since it was my favorite spot to be. I felt when I was up here that I was connected to Merlin, that maybe I might see him come home. Immature thoughts that I knew would do nothing for me but I could resist. So here I brought Mordred nearly everyday when I finished working with Uther. And here I was again singing to the small child, this time I was singing Led Zeppelin's 'Misty Mountain Hop'.

"Walkin' in the park just the other day, Baby,
What do you, what do you think I saw?
Crowds of people sittin' on the grass with flowers in their hair said,
"Hey, Boy, do you wanna score?"
And you know how it is;
I really don't know what time it was, woh, oh,
So I asked them if I could stay awhile.

I didn't notice but it had got very dark and I was really,
Really out of my mind.
Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us said,
"Please, hey, would we care to all get in line,
Get in line."
Well you know, They asked us to stay for tea and have some fun,
Oh, oh, he said that his friends would all drop by, ooh.

Why don't you take a good look at yourself and describe what you see,
And Baby, Baby, Baby, do you like it?
There you sit, sitting spare like a book on a shelf rustin'
Ah, not trying to fight it.
You really don't care if they're coming, oh, oh,
I know that it's all a state of mind, ooh.

If you go down in the streets today, Baby, you better,
You better open your eyes.
Folk down there really don't care, really don't care, don't care, really don't
Which, which way the pressure lies,
So I've decided what I'm gonna do now.
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
Where the spirits go now,
Over the hills where the spirits fly, ooh.
I really don't know."

I looked up to the child who's look meant that it didn't understand before turning to the view outside. I could see something new, something that wasn't there before I started singing. There was smoke rising and billowing from several points off in the distance. I could see anything underneath them because of the hill that blocked my view. Whoever was out there was just beyond the hill.

I picked up Mordred from the floor and went downstairs and brought Alden back with me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I think the question should be who?" Alden answered before continuing, "there is only two options either it is our Prince with Merlin and his warriors behind him." At this I smiled until the ever present but came. "But, it could also be the Saxon army coming to claim the castle and kill us all." Alden said this last part with a smile.

"Do you think that will happen?" I said worried, I knew Merlin and Arthur were string but I couldn't help but be worried it was a war after all and anything could happen.

"I don't think it will. But at the same time I can't rule it out as a possibility. I'll go tell the king the news. so he can prepare."

"How can he prepare when we don't know who it is?" I said.

"We will prepare for both, at least until they come into view and we can know who is coming." Alden said as he walked off from the wall.

I stood there a bit longer just looking off into the distance in silence until Mordred let out a single cry letting me know he was hungry. Mordred never cried to much but when he would he'd cry out a single cry and depending on the time of day if was I knew he was either hungry or had gone to the bathroom. It felt more like taking care of a dog than a kid but then again I had nothing to compare it to since I had never taking care of a child this small.

Despite that fact I felt like my mother intuition had kicked in and that I was doing a good job. I had never really liked kids growin up and I had never actually wanted one. But that wasn't the case now, now that I had held the child, loved, and cared for it things were different. Now I could actually pictured myself with my own child caring and loving it. I wasn't sure who would be the father of my children right now, but at least now I knew that I wanted them.