Bounding

I finally had talked Guinevere into taking Mordred for the day so I could spend time with Merlin, as a surprise. However when I went to look for him I found that he was gone to the neighboring town on yet another errand for Arthur. I was really starting to get sick of the distance between us. Of the miles and even when we are in the same room Merlin is to exhausted from all the work he was that he doesn't see me anymore. He doesn't watch my movements like he used to and I fear that he has lost interest.

Since I had the day free of Mordred on a treasured day off I decided to relax in a small garden that was hidden away and that no one, at least that I had seen had, knew of its existence. I was surprised when I arrived that Arthur was there, sitting in the corner of the lot looking up at the sky with a vacant expression on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Gs is my mothers garden, she used to come here to escape my father." He said without looking at me.

I sucked in a breath, surprised by his response.

But he continued, "I've heard that my father talks to you about her, my mother that is. Does he ever say thing like he loved her? Or something similar?"

I thought back to our talks about Arthur's mom, the answer was no. I had never heard Uther claim to love her, it had always seemed to me like she had been a prize that he had won rather than someone that he loved. My silence spoke volumes and Arthur slowly moves so he can looked at me.

"So you do know. My mother was just a prize. Something that was won. Something that was kept on a shelve so it could be presented when father felt like it and stored away when it wasn't needed. This is where she went when he did not need her services. This is where I spent most of my time with my real mother. And despite all of her best efforts I have become just like my father, a monster who has taken a trophy wife who will hate me as the years pass."

I moved toward Arthur, I didn't know what to say to him but his words were less for me and more for herself. So I sat next to him and rubbed his back as he felt the feelings inside of him as I thought of something to say.

After a small time I finally answered him, "you could always let Guinevere go, you still have options ahead of you. You don't have to keep her in your cage as a trophy like Uther did to your mother. You know that don't you?"

Arthur looked at me, he didn't speak but he gave me a look that told me, 'thank you.'

We stayed there sitting on the bench for several hours, saying nothing, doing nothing, not even touching each other while we sat side by side. It was one of those moments where the silence made it all the more perfect, there are few people who can sit silently and have it be comfortable. This was a sublime moment.

I started to get up but Arthur stopped me, "please stay. ... Please sing a song, I like hearing your voice."

I sat back down and drew a big breath a sang 'Under The Bridge' by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Sometimes I feel
Like I don't have a partner
Sometimes I feel
Like my only friend
Is the city I live in
The city of angels
Lonely as I am
Together we cry

I drive on her streets
'Cause she's my companion
I walk through her hills
'Cause she knows who I am
She sees my good deeds
And she kisses me windy
I never worry
Now that is a lie

I don't ever want to feel
Like I did that day
Take me to the place I love
Take me all the way

I don't ever want to feel
Like I did that day
Take me to the place I love
Take me all the way

It's hard to believe
That there's nobody out there
It's hard to believe
That I'm all alone
At least I have her love
The city she loves me
Lonely as I am
Together we cry

I don't ever want to feel
Like I did that day
Take me to the place I love
Take me all the way

I don't ever want to feel
Like I did that day
Take me to the place I love
Take me all the way

Under the bridge downtown
Is where I drew some blood
Under the bridge downtown
I could not get enough
Under the bridge downtown
Forgot about my love
Under the bridge downtown
I gave my life away"

When I was finished I noticed that Arthur was crying. I guess the decision he made were haunting him, I guess my choice in songs wasn't an appropriate one but still it fit the occasion. I started to get up again this time I wasn't stopped. Yet still something kept me next to Arthur as he silently sobbed.

I couldn't help myself as I sang 'The Hanging Tree' from The Hunger Games but not the version from the movie with the switched lyrics, I was singing the original from the book with the correct lyrics. I felt like this song would be powerful and something for Arthur to chew on before I left him alone with his thoughts which was clearly something that he needed.

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man
They say murdered three.
Strange things have happened here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out
For his love to flee.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run,
So we'd both be free.
Strange things have happened here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope,
Side by side with me.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree."

When I was finished I got up and silently left Arthur alone with his thoughts.