Chapter 24

" ugh , Enrique pleassee if you can't feed me then at least bring me water to quench my thirst ! "- I pleaded to the guard guarding me that day .

" Quiet down ! "- he harshly remarked .

" Enrique please , I'm so thirsty ! " - I said with a cough .

I sighed then closed my eyes as i controlled my breathing .

I've been feeling weak lately and I'm afraid because the beatings are making things worse for me .

I guess I just have to give up ; no one really cares that much about me anyway .

I kept quiet the rest of the time till sleep finally overtook me .

I was woken up again by gentle taps on my shoulder .

I managed to open my eyes to see who it was ; Ryan . It was the second guard .

" Yeah ,"- I mumbled .

" Nothing , just checking to know if you were still alive or not ? " - he said with a hint of sadness .

I smiled  "I guess I'm that stubborn eh , "- I joked .

" I guess "- he replied with a shrug .
Ryan was actually more friendly than Enrique and likes to start a conversation with me to help me smile .

" Ryan  , may I get a glass of water to drink please "- I hopefully asked him again.

" You already know how it is , Scarlet . If I disobey the Madam's orders I would be in trouble plus I have a family to take care of ."- he replied with a sad face .

" Just a drop of water  Ryan please ! "- I pleaded again .

He muttered something like sorry  before finally exiting the basement .

I shook my head so as to prevent to tears from coming out .
I closed my eyes again as I forced myself to sleep . I need to feel numb from the pain .

I don't know how long I've been here but it feels like forever and I feel myself slowly slipping away .

" Helloo ! "- I heard a cheerful Margaret yell .

* Silence *

" I'm just going to ignore you this time around , "- she said as she squatted to level down with me .

" I'm gradually growing my business bacckkk ! and I'm so happy  "- she said with a giggle .

" Well ..... Won't you speak , hihihi I guess you finally learnt to be less bratty !  - she remarked .

That was definitely not the reason at all  , I was just too weak to even form gibberish not to talk of talking . How long have I been here to make me this weak .

" Hey , hey little missy are you even listening to me ! "- she said with a snap of her finger .

I looked her in the eye and was wondering how she became like this ; what happened ?

" Anyway since you will not be around to ruin my business , I think I can finally have my peace of mind  "- she said as she caressed my cheeks .

" See you soon ! "- she said as she abruptly got up and exited the basement .

Leaving with Enrique with Ryan left to guard me .

" I'm gonna miss you , "- I managed to mumble .

" I'm really sorry for what the madam is making you go through , I mean * sigh * you have already gone through enough in your father's hands . But aside from that , what you did to your father's hair and eyebrows were epic ! "- he said as he clutched his stomach after finishing his last sentence .

" , I know ! "- my face immediately dropped as the image of my sister surrounded in her own pool of blood popped into my head.

" I hope he never gets out of there "- he said with a frown .

" Yeah , I hope so too "- I mumbled .

He seems young to even be involved in this kind of business or maybe he's doing this for his family's welfare .
I won't be able to say anything about Enrique ; even his face looks ruthless .

" What's up with Enrique anyway , "- i blurted .

" I don't even know but what I know is that he growls a lot ! "- he said with a chuckle .

He walked to me and sat down by my side as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear .

" I thought you were all buddy , buddy with him , "- I teased .

" Definitely not , if it's not him growling at me then it's his creepy , creepy ; very creepy stink eyes "- he explained as he trembled lightly .

" Are you afraid of him ? "- I asked in between laughs .

" Of course not ! "- he replied with a scoff .

" Even with all his muscles "- I asked with a raised eyebrow .

" Thoes tiny things ! "- he said with a smirk .

" You might want to tell him that , "- I said with a head gesture  in front of us .

" Wha ? - where is he ? "- he asked in a panicked tone .

" I bet you peed your pants , "- I said with a smirk .

" That was no laughing matter Scarlet ! "- he scolded .

" Anyway let's forget about what just happened , so tell me how do you know the madam "- he asked.

" My dearest daddy decided that I would be of good use if I sold my body for money and as an example him and Margaret did it In front of me tied up in a chair and occasionally smacks on my cheeks "- I explained with a sad smile .

" Oh "- was his only reply .

" Don't worry about it , "- I said with a saddened smile .

I closed my eyes then leaned back for a bit .

"Let me just take a nap , "- I whispered .

" Ok "- he mumbled before leaving the basement .

I heard someone ran in and hold me .

" Ryan ? "- I mumbled .

" Shhh "- he gestured before tampering with my cuffs .

I felt my hand being freed .

" Ryan ! , what are you doing ? "- I whispered .

" Getting you out of here , "- he whispered back .

He helped me stand as I leaned on his body .

" I'm not sure I remember how to use my legs "- I whispered .

" Don't worry "- he said with a smirk as he carried me in his arms bridal style and dashed towards the door .

" Thank you "- I mumbled as I closed my eyes to protect them from the harshness of the light in here but unfortunately darkness took the opportunity and sucked me in ; darkness my old friend .

A/N

My favorite quote from this book :
Darkness , my old friend .